Finding Average Velocity between .7 m/s and -1.25 m/s

In summary: But if you have two different velocities, the maximum and minimum will be different. In summary, you would need to find the average of the two velocities.
Petrucciowns
So far when calculating velocity I have used Initial velocity and Final velocity, but now I need to calculate the average velocity when given two separate velocity values, the highest velocity and the lowest velocity. So how would I find the average of velocity when I have a high of .7 m/s and a low of -1.25 m/s.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \bar{x} = \frac{\Sigma x}{N}[/tex]OR to make life easier, the mean of 2 and 3 is (2+3)/5EDIT: yeah should be (2+3)/2

Last edited:
Wait.. ,but if you divide anything by itself it is going to equal one. Also, how would I read that equation? I don't really understand it.

Petrucciowns said:
Wait.. ,but if you divide anything by itself it is going to equal one. Also, how would I read that equation? I don't really understand it.

N is the number of samples you have. In your case, 2. I think he meant to divide by 2.

Petrucciowns said:
So far when calculating velocity I have used Initial velocity and Final velocity, but now I need to calculate the average velocity when given two separate velocity values, the highest velocity and the lowest velocity. So how would I find the average of velocity when I have a high of .7 m/s and a low of -1.25 m/s.

Thanks
Actually there's not enough information to answer that. Does the velocity change smoothly (i.e. at a constant rate) from the high velocity to the low velocity, or from the low velocity to the high velocity? Or does it oscillate between the high and the low velocity? Or is there some other behavior?

Oh yah, there is a problem. Knowing the maximum and minimum can't show you what the average velocity if you're dealing with the same object. The initial and final positions allow you to tell what the average velocity was given how much time has passed.

1. What is the formula for finding average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is total displacement divided by total time taken.

2. How do you calculate the total displacement?

To calculate the total displacement, you subtract the initial position from the final position.

3. How do you determine the total time taken?

The total time taken can be determined by subtracting the initial time from the final time.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

5. What are the units for average velocity?

The units for average velocity are meters per second (m/s) in the SI system.