Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Meaning of a Subspace

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I want to make sure I understand the notion of a subspace. Our professor gave an example of one: the set of degree n polynomials is a subspace of continuous functions. This is because a) a polynomial is intrinsically a subset of continuous functions and b) summing any polynomials yields another polynomial (closed under addition) and c) any polynomial multiplied by a constant is still a polynomial (closed under scalar multiplication).

If my reasoning is correct, then I think the set of discontinuous functions is NOT a subset of all real functions. To see why, consider ##f(x) = 1## everywhere except non-existent at ##x=1##. Then take the function ##g(x)=1## when ##x=1## and non-existent everywhere else. Then the sum is clearly continuous. (How would this change though if I changed non-existent to zero? I know the result is the same, but is ##g(x)## as I have defined it even discontinuous--I realize this is a real analysis question.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't choose functions that are not defined at some point, as functions that have different domains can't be added so they don't form a vector space. The space of all real-valued functions would imply that they all all defined on some fixed domain.

Also, functions that are not defined at a point are not necessarily discontinuous. They may be continuous on their domain. A good example is the function ##1/x##, which is a continuous function on its domain.

Instead, you need to think of two genuinely discontinuous functions that can be added to form a contiuous function.

Or, perhaps you could think of a simpler example using a subset of the polynomials that does not form a subspace?

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would say: "The set of polynomials of degree at most ##n##". (Here you regard the zero polynomial as having degree ##-\infty## or you should stipulate that this set includes the zero polynomial.)
    You mean to say "subspace" instead of "subset"? In addition, I very much second the remarks made by PeroK. They appeared on my screen while I was writing this.
    Or take a discontinuous function and multiply it by zero.

5. Sep 10, 2016 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thank you both for finessing my logic! I really appreciate both of your input!:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted