1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of a Symbol

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    I've run across a symbol on a NASA paper from 1984 that I am not familiar with and that I could not find in a web search.

It's a capital 'V' with a horizontal cross bar through its center. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    Was it an inverted upper case A? If so it might be the logic symbol meaning "for all".

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post an image of this symbol or provide a link to the paper?

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did it look like this?
    $$\forall$$

6. Oct 21, 2014 #5

berkeman

What's it mean?

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6

Mark44

It means "for each" or "for all".

8. Nov 4, 2014 #7
    Well, with what I've been doing, I had become accustomed to the nomenclature of a paper being right up there by the introduction or abstract. So, I finally came to the end of this NASA paper and discovered - ta daaa!

The nomenclature.

So, the symbol, V with a horizontal cross-bar (duplicated by going into Word, or some such, typing a capital V and clicking the strike-through button), anyway, that symbol stands for, "Volume of ion production region (m3)."

Still trying to learn what that is - I am, by no means, really understanding more than the concepts of this paper - so, I don't know what that is, though I kind of have a guess.

9. Nov 4, 2014 #8
  10. Nov 5, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Nov 5, 2014 #10

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Just skimmed through it, there's a symbol matching his description first appearing at the bottom of page 30, in equation (12). Can't work out what it means though -- it appears again on page 38.

EDIT: Just checked the glossary at the bottom. It means "volume of ion production region", measured here in cubic metres.

EDIT 2: According to post #7, the OP has already discovered this...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook