Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of a Symbol

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    I've run across a symbol on a NASA paper from 1984 that I am not familiar with and that I could not find in a web search.

It's a capital 'V' with a horizontal cross bar through its center. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    Was it an inverted upper case A? If so it might be the logic symbol meaning "for all".

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post an image of this symbol or provide a link to the paper?

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did it look like this?
    $$\forall$$

6. Oct 21, 2014 #5

berkeman

What's it mean?

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6

Mark44

It means "for each" or "for all".

8. Nov 4, 2014 #7
    Well, with what I've been doing, I had become accustomed to the nomenclature of a paper being right up there by the introduction or abstract. So, I finally came to the end of this NASA paper and discovered - ta daaa!

The nomenclature.

So, the symbol, V with a horizontal cross-bar (duplicated by going into Word, or some such, typing a capital V and clicking the strike-through button), anyway, that symbol stands for, "Volume of ion production region (m3)."

Still trying to learn what that is - I am, by no means, really understanding more than the concepts of this paper - so, I don't know what that is, though I kind of have a guess.

9. Nov 4, 2014 #8
  10. Nov 5, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Nov 5, 2014 #10

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Just skimmed through it, there's a symbol matching his description first appearing at the bottom of page 30, in equation (12). Can't work out what it means though -- it appears again on page 38.

EDIT: Just checked the glossary at the bottom. It means "volume of ion production region", measured here in cubic metres.

EDIT 2: According to post #7, the OP has already discovered this...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook