Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Meaning of Coordinates in GR

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I am hoping someone can clarify some confusion I have. It is my understanding that there is no such thing as absolute velocity or acceleration in GR. If one observer is moving near the speed of light and the other is stationary each observer will see the other as in motion. But if they each throw a ball away from themselves the observer in motion, from my understanding, has a much larger gravitational potential than the observer at rest so their would be a feature that distinguishes between their "velocities".

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While there is no absolute velocity, there is the concept of proper acceleration. This is the acceleration experienced by an observer following a particular world line and is invariant.

The same is true in SR.

Your understanding is wrong. The concept of relativistic mass does not apply to gravitation and how GR couples the metric to matter content. The correct statement is significantly more complicated. I suggest reading my insight article on relativistic mass, which is an obsolete concept not used by most physicists today.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the direction!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted