What is the Meaning of Cylindrical Vectors in Relation to Cartesian Vectors?

In summary, cylindrical coordinates can be thought of as a right triangle with a point of rotation at the origin. The three values, \rho, \phi, and z, form an orthogonal coordinate system that changes direction as the point changes position. To represent a vector in cylindrical coordinates, use the relations: \vec{x}=\rho\mbox{cos\phi}\hat{x}, \vec{y}=\rho\mbox{sin\phi}\hat{y}, and \vec{z}=z\hat{z}. The inverse relations are \vec{\rho}=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\hat{\rho} and \vec{\phi}=\arctan{\frac{y}{x}}\
salman213
1. IM very confused about the meaning of these cylindrical vectors

for Cartesian vectors if i say A = 1ax + 2ay + 3az

I know i mean a vector with a magntiude of 1 in the x direction 2 in the y direction and 3 in the z direction and i make a line from the origin to point (1,2,3).

Now for cylindrical I cannot think the same way

for a point i can make a point easily it seems to have a similar meaning (r is the magntiude from origin to the point, phi being the angle from x and z being the regular z)

now for a vector example a = 1 ap + 2 aphi + 3 az

Im very confused how do i draw this vector and what does it mean?

the magntiude along p is 1 so the angle is 2? from the x axis?

i don't think this is correct.. I can't understand this help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cylindrical coordinates can be thought of as a right triangle with a point of rotation at the origin. The one leg of the triangle lies in the x-y plane and is

[tex]\rho[/tex]

and the vertical leg is

[tex]\mbox{z}[/tex]

and the angle with respect to an axis, usually the x axis, that the triangle is rotated from is

[tex]\phi[/tex]

These three values form another orthogonal coordinate system but it is not fixed like a Cartesian coordinate system but changes direction as the point changes position.

Last edited:
so you would not be able to draw the vector out?

how would i draw or specifiy a change in aphi like on a 3d plane what would the difference of

1 ap + 2aphi + 3az and 1 ap + 3aphi + 3az ?

the thing is this all seems to be about points i don't understand how to relate it to vectors in cylindrical system

I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of how to represent a vector in cylindrical coordinate system.

like on a 3d plane what would the difference of

1 ap + 2aphi + 3az and 1 ap + 3aphi + 3az ?

I think what you are looking for is a relation between the Cartesian vectors and the Cylindrical vectors. So, using the picture from the link given previously and some trigonometry, we have

[tex]\vec{x}=\rho\mbox{cos\phi}\hat{x}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{y}=\rho\mbox{sin\phi}\hat{y}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{z}=z\hat{z}[/tex]

where

[tex]\hat{x},\hat{y}, and \ \hat{z}[/tex]

are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. The inverse relations are

[tex]\vec{\rho}=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\hat{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\phi}=\arctan{\frac{y}{x}}\hat{\phi}[/tex]

The z value is the same for both coordinate systems. Hope this helps.

1. What is a cylindrical vector?

A cylindrical vector is a type of vector that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction in a cylindrical coordinate system. It has three components: a radial component, an azimuthal component, and a longitudinal component.

2. How is a cylindrical vector different from a Cartesian vector?

A cylindrical vector is different from a Cartesian vector in that it is represented in a cylindrical coordinate system instead of a Cartesian coordinate system. This means that instead of using x, y, and z coordinates, cylindrical vectors use r, θ, and z coordinates.

3. What is the significance of cylindrical vectors in physics?

Cylindrical vectors are significant in physics because they allow us to describe and analyze physical phenomena that occur in cylindrical systems, such as rotational motion, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields.

4. How is the magnitude of a cylindrical vector calculated?

The magnitude of a cylindrical vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the three components (r, θ, and z). In other words, the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the components.

5. Can a cylindrical vector have negative components?

Yes, a cylindrical vector can have negative components. The direction of the vector is determined by the signs of its components, so a negative component will result in a vector pointing in the opposite direction. For example, a cylindrical vector with a negative z-component would point in the negative z-direction.