Meaning of "Executive Summary" in this context?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: It is usually just a one or two sentence overview of the report, with a focus on the most important points.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I am doing a side job, writing an analysis of a healthcare-related paper . I was asked to follow a specific format : Executive Summary, Statement of Problem, Analysis of Situation, Recommended Solution. I have some idea of what an Exec. Summary is in the context of a business plan, but I am not clear on what it may mean in this context of analyzing a paper using this format. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like abstract?

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Hi all,
I am doing a side job, writing an analysis of a healthcare-related paper . I was asked to follow a specific format : Executive Summary, Statement of Problem, Analysis of Situation, Recommended Solution. I have some idea of what an Exec. Summary is in the context of a business plan, but I am not clear on what it may mean in this context of analyzing a paper using this format. Any ideas?
Thanks.
When I had to write reports with an "Executive Summary", it meant a VERY BRIEF, simplified problem/solution in a small nutshell. I was told it was usually the only part of my report the executive would be reading. We were told to keep it to a small paragraph, our VP was that bad.

Have you tried googling examples?

As its name suggests, an executive summary summarizes, or reviews the main points of, a longer document or report for a reader that does not have time to read the entire report. An effective executive summary analyzes and summarizes the most important points in the paper or report, and will often make a recommendation based on the analysis. Executive summaries are “stand alone” documents that are almost always read independently of the reports they summarize.

https://www.umuc.edu/writingcenter/writingresources/exec_summaries.cfm

Likes WWGD
Hi, thanks, yes, but all the examples I found were related to sales or personal pitches or business promotion. Thanks.

Evo said:
I was told it was usually the only part of my report the executive would be reading.

Exactly. Write it like that is all that is going to be read by the important decision makers. That's the theme I use when I include an Executive Summary in something I write. :smile:

Likes WWGD
Executive summaries would explain what was studied, why it was studied, high level summary of results, and probably how it is relevant to the executive/manager reading the report, or how much it would benefit the sponsor of the study - e.g., reduce cost and increase profit, or increase revenue and profit - particularly if it a business case.

I think what everyone here has said is correct, the main thing that helps me in doing the things already mentioned here is writing the Executive Summary last.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is an executive summary in the context of scientific research?

An executive summary is a concise and comprehensive overview of a scientific research project, highlighting its key points and findings. It is typically written for an audience that may not have a deep understanding of the subject matter, such as stakeholders, policymakers, or other researchers.

2. Why is an executive summary important in scientific research?

An executive summary serves as a way to quickly and effectively communicate the main points of a research project to a wider audience. It can also help readers determine if they want to read the entire study in detail, as well as provide a summary for those who may not have the time or expertise to read the full report.

3. What should be included in an executive summary?

An executive summary should include a brief description of the research question, methodology, major findings, and conclusions. It should also provide context for the study and its potential implications.

4. How long should an executive summary be?

An executive summary should be no more than 10% of the length of the full research report. It should be concise and to the point, highlighting only the most important information.

5. Who is the intended audience for an executive summary?

The intended audience for an executive summary can vary depending on the research project, but typically includes stakeholders, policymakers, other researchers, and anyone else who may be interested in the findings of the study.