What is the Principle of General Covariance in Physics?

In summary, the principle of General Covariance says that the laws of physics should take the same form in all reference frames, but this is not always the case.
shubham agn
Hello!

I am reading GR and got confused about the principle of General Covariance. The principle of General Covariance says that the laws of physics take the same form in all reference frames. Since the laws are same in all reference frames, any experiment performed should give identical results in all reference frames. But this is not true since if I release a ball in an inertial frame it remains stationary but if released in an accelerated frame it speeds up.

Am i not understanding the meaning of General Covariance?

Physics news on Phys.org
shubham agn said:
Hello!

I am reading GR and got confused about the principle of General Covariance. The principle of General Covariance says that the laws of physics take the same form in all reference frames. Since the laws are same in all reference frames, any experiment performed should give identical results in all reference frames. But this is not true since if I release a ball in an inertial frame it remains stationary but if released in an accelerated frame it speeds up.

Yes, general covariance says that the laws of physics should take the same form in all reference frames. But it doesn't say that they should give the same results when applied to different situations!

Likes jedishrfu
Here's what wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_covariance

Results will always vary between inertial and accelerated frames.

However, if you are falling in a gravitational field then locally you have an inertial frame and the experiment should give the same results.

Likes ShayanJ
I forgot to mention. You're mixing two different things. One is general covariance which I explained.
The other thing is the equivalence principle which says that the laws of physics should be that of SR in small patches of spacetime. It also means that locally, you can't distinguish between a uniformly accelerated motion and being in a gravitational field.

shubham agn said:
Hello!

Say you have an equation for your inertial frame that tells you how the ball is going to move. Call it the geodesic equation. When you change coordinate system [frame of reference] you still have this geodesic equation, but it's a tensor equation, and the elements of the equation transform as the coordinate system transforms.The geodesic equation, with it's transformed elements, now tell you that ball is accelerating.

So we write the geodesic equation in a sufficiently ambiguous way, that it can be applied to any coordinate system, and identify it as being "generally covariant".

Last edited:
Thanks Shyan, jedishrfu and stewards!

What is the meaning of general covariance?

General covariance is a concept in physics and mathematics that refers to the invariance of physical laws under coordinate transformations. This means that the equations that describe the behavior of a system remain the same, regardless of the coordinate system used to describe it.

Why is general covariance important?

General covariance is important because it allows us to describe the same physical phenomena using different coordinate systems. This is especially useful in situations where one coordinate system may be more convenient or intuitive to use than another. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles underlying physical laws and their behavior.

How is general covariance related to general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that is based on the principle of general covariance. In this theory, gravity is not described as a force between masses, but rather as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. The equations of general relativity are formulated in a way that is invariant under coordinate transformations, making them consistent with the principle of general covariance.

What are some examples of general covariance in physics?

One example of general covariance is the conservation of energy, which remains the same regardless of the coordinate system used to describe it. Another example is the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Additionally, many physical laws, such as Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism, are formulated in a way that is invariant under coordinate transformations, showing their general covariance.

How is general covariance tested and confirmed?

General covariance is tested and confirmed through experiments and observations that demonstrate that physical laws hold true regardless of the coordinate system used. For example, the behavior of objects in free fall is the same regardless of the coordinate system used to describe it, confirming the general covariance of the equations of motion. In addition, the predictions of general relativity, which is based on the principle of general covariance, have been extensively tested and confirmed through astronomical observations and experiments.