Meaning of integrating exterior forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a forum and a question about the concept of an exterior p-form and its integral over a submanifold. The question is whether the arguments of the p-forms in the integral would be different at each point. The answer is that the integral is evaluated using the corresponding basis tangent vectors, making it independent of reparametrization.
KamYi
I just discovered this forum: very very nice!

And here's my first question:
An exterior p-form is a multilinear antisymmetric map from p copies of a vector space (in particular, a tangent space located at some point P of a manifold) to the reals.

Now what could it mean to have an integral of a p-form over a submanifold of dimension p?? If I think of the integral as a sum of p-forms at different points P along the submanifold, then what would the argument of the sum of the p-forms be? At each point it should be a *different* argument, so how can you add p-forms at different points??

Edit: Is this the answer? By definition of the integral, the p-form [tex] \alpha^p [/tex] in any coordinate patch such that [tex] \alpha=a_idx^i [/tex], is to be evaluated by taking as arguments the corresponding basis tangent vectors [tex]\partial/\partial x^i. [/tex] That indeed makes the integral independent of reparametrization.

Thanks,

S.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there are experts who can answer your nor my question.. sad.. T_T

precondition said:
I don't think there are experts who can answer your nor my question.. sad.. T_T

Oh darn, I thought someone answered my question :wink:

1. What is the meaning of "integrating exterior forms" in science?

The term "integrating exterior forms" refers to the process of combining or merging different external structures or shapes to create a unified whole. In science, this can refer to the integration of various external factors or variables in order to understand a complex system or phenomenon.

2. How is the concept of "integrating exterior forms" relevant to scientific research?

In scientific research, the concept of "integrating exterior forms" is relevant because it allows scientists to consider all relevant external factors and how they interact with each other in order to gain a deeper understanding of a particular subject. This can lead to more comprehensive and accurate conclusions.

3. Can you provide an example of how scientists use the concept of "integrating exterior forms" in their work?

One example of how scientists use the concept of "integrating exterior forms" is in ecology. Ecologists study the interactions between different organisms and their environment to understand how they function as a whole. This involves integrating various external factors such as climate, soil, and species interactions to gain a holistic understanding of an ecosystem.

4. How does the process of "integrating exterior forms" contribute to scientific advancements?

The process of "integrating exterior forms" allows scientists to consider a wide range of factors and variables, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of a subject. This can lead to new insights and discoveries that contribute to scientific advancements. It also allows for a more efficient and effective use of resources in research.

5. Are there any challenges associated with "integrating exterior forms" in science?

Yes, there can be challenges associated with "integrating exterior forms" in science. One challenge is the potential for oversimplification or overlooking important external factors in the pursuit of a unified understanding. Another challenge is the difficulty in quantifying and measuring the interactions between multiple external factors, making it challenging to integrate them into scientific models and theories.