Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of Life.

1. May 11, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Meaning of Life.

Hey. I saw in the tag for this section, "what is the meaning of life". I thought that'd, as a biology neuroscience major, I'd post here what I've come to consider the answer to this and a VERY similiar question.

Q: What is the meaning to A life?
    A: To maintain homeostasis.

Q: What is the meaning to life?
    A: To reproduce offspring that can successfully reproduce offspring.

Furthermore, it can be implied that the meaning to A life could be to maintain homestasis long enough to reproduce offspring that can succesfully reproduce offspring.

That's Biology, not Philosophy, and I don't believe philosophy could answer this question properly!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are confusing meaning with function. Science has nothing to say about meaning...to suggest so is pseudo-science. Science tells us what not why.

4. May 11, 2003 #3
    I'm not confused at all. When I see a pseudo-scientific comment I instantly assume an error in syntax which if posted correctly would be the most appropriate non-pseudo word or statement replacement.

So, that's my answer in those terms. Other wise all I could say is the answer to the question "what is the meaning to life" is something like 8/0

It's not defined, because "meaning" does not exist!

PS: Can you gather that I need to remain in the science forums? Heh, don't worry I'll be found there 99% of the time!

5. May 11, 2003 #4
    Very interesting style you have, LogicalAtheist.

"This question has no answer except in the history of how it came to be asked. There is no answer because words have meaning, not life or persons or the universe itself. Our search for certainty rests in our attempts at understanding the history of all individual selves and all civilizations. Beyond that, there is only awe."
    -Julian Jaynes

6. May 11, 2003 #5
    Well, you're obviously very hostile towards philosophy -- unnecessarily, I should add. Meaning does not exist? Then how do you justify believing in the answers that science provides?

7. May 11, 2003 #6
    I'm not hostile towards anyone, perhaps you just feel offended. Philosophy has it's place, and has places it doesn't have a purpose.

That doesn't make sense to me. Justify believing in the answers that science provides? Let me evaluate to explain.

1. I carry only relative belief. Not static belief. What is currently considered truth I hold as truth. I question it, or put effort into seeking out other current "truths" only when I feel necessary or avised to do so!

2. I "justify" my relative belief because if I made assumptions other scientists didn't, we'd all be speaking different languages. Therefore the scientific community keeps hold of current truths so we can speak as one.

3. Saying "meaning does not exist" is a perfectly sound argument. Meaning is a syntax word error which when correced turns out to be a variety of other words (with different meanings).

8. May 11, 2003 #7
    'Meaning' is not an intrinsic trait, but something that humans impose on things.

9. May 11, 2003 #8

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

It sounds like you have it all figured out, in which case philosophy is a waste of time for you. Possibly your genius is wasted here.

Thank you for bringing us up to date on you.

Anything else you'd care to lecture we feeble-minded thinkers about?

Last edited: May 11, 2003
  10. May 11, 2003 #9
    LW. It's not a good idea to be sarcastic about you being feeble-minded and then give proof that you are. I'd advise against it.

Furthermore, being an ******* and intelligable will only make us read your posts like watching a clown. Try to say something worthwhile.

Zero said it perfectly:

"'Meaning' is not an intrinsic trait, but something that humans impose on things."

Zero is someone who WILL get my attention, as for LW, sorry feeb, you've been exiled!

11. May 11, 2003 #10
    LW - Becoming intelligent and knowledgable takes alot of work. I certainly wouldn't ruin my status by making this effort any more attainable to you!

You have to work hard to know things. Try it some time! Or you could stick to the anything goes area of philosophy. It's kind of the hippie-thinkers genre idn't it now?

12. May 12, 2003 #11

drag

Science Advisor

Greetings !

Welcome to PF LogicalAtheist !

Look buddy, I mostly agree with you so far,
    but I've two things to say to you:

1. If you keep talking to people like that,
    you ain't gon'na be talking much even with
    those who do agree with you. Good manners
    can sometimes get in the way indeed but they're
    necessary for a web community like this one
    because eventually that's all you got.

2. If you do not at least attempt to fully
    adress and analyze the subject you're talking
    about then what's the point of being in the
    phil. forum ? You're mostly denying some people's
    opinions and introducing others in the form
    of "I'm right and you're wrong". Now, if you
    think your philosophy is already correct and set
    then why bother making discussions here ? Are
    you a preacher of logic and atheism that's come
    to preach ('cause if you are, this ain't the right
    forum for it) ? :wink:

Peace and long life.

13. May 12, 2003 #12

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Well, so far all I've seen from you is absolutes, half-baked opinions, ad hominem arguments, half-assed spelling and grammer, and butt head manners. But if you believe you can out-think this old hippie, then why don't you demonstrate it?

I mean, how intelligent is it to start a thread linking meaning and biology in the philosophy section, and then observe "Philosophy has it's place, and has places it doesn't have a purpose"? Philosophy has its place in a philosophy forum, and it seems you have a place in front of the mirror admiring yourself.

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  14. May 12, 2003 #13
    No more in the PHIL forum! No more!

15. May 12, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct; meaning is not a subject of science. You are talking about your faith, not science.

16. May 12, 2003 #15
    Talking about my faith? What faith?

17. May 12, 2003 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your faith [belief] that life has function but no meaning. This philosophy can’t be supported by science, so, since it implicitly addresses the issue of a deity, it essentially qualifies as a religion.

18. May 12, 2003 #17
    What is the meaning of life? It's all just a matter of perspective now isn't it? Dependent upon what "we" might deem important?

19. May 12, 2003 #18
    Re: Re: Meaning of Life.

So there may be many meanings in this case, and not the 'single' meaning that the original question implies?

20. May 12, 2003 #19
    Holy fructosciousness! ... What does the original question imply? And to whom?

21. May 12, 2003 #20
    I would have prefered; The meanings of life...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?