Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of size in subatomic

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    What is, and is not meant, by size when it comes to the subatomic world?

The FAQ's of this forum, and a wikipedia article I read recently seem to agree that "the very notion of a discrete 'particle' has been ultimately replaced by the concept of something like wave-packet of an uncertain boundary".

I think I like that statement, but I still read from time to time that subatomic particle P has size less than 10^-M meters, for example. How would one conclude that without assuming a certain boundary? In what ways do these size statements have meaning and in what ways do they not have meaning subatomically?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2
    I think that a good measure for the size of a particle is the size of an area where the probability density of subparticles (that construct the original particle) is high enough. Example are atomic orbitals: they are defined as the volume that has 95% chance to contain electron (although complete definition should also say that the volume drops 5% of the space with minimal probability density).

4. May 18, 2008 #3
    Okay, that sounds reasonable for compound particles.
    If I have an elementary subparticle, say, a standalone electron. I think I'm supposed to be able to accept a zero, point-like width on one hand, and also accept an uncertain boundary on the other hand. A point seems to be an absolutely certain boundary, so I don't understand the apparent conflict in the language.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?