What Is the Significance of the Constant c in Wave Equations?

• B
  • Thread starter davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the speed of light, denoted by c, is the speed at which a disturbance in a system travels, such as in a vibrating string. It can correspond to different quantities depending on the system, such as the tension and mass density per unit length in a string. The ratio T/ρ=c^2 can be interpreted as the tension propagating across the string at the speed v, but for more general applications, 1/c^2 is a factor that ultimately determines the wave speed and can have different derivations.
davidge
For systems whose motion is discribed by the wave equation

$$ \bigg(\frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \vec{\nabla^2} \bigg)u \big(\vec{x},t \big) = 0$$ ##c## is the speed of light. It corresponds to different quantities depending on what the system under consideretion is. For instance, for a simple vibrating string, ##c = \sqrt{T / \rho}## where ##T## is the tension and ##\rho## is the mass density per unit length.

My question is, What is the meaning of the ratio ## T / \rho = c^2##? Maybe, tension propagates at the speed of light throughout the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
##c## is the speed of light.
Not necessarily, c is the speed of whatever wave you are dealing with.

Likes davidge and sophiecentaur
NFuller said:
Not necessarily, c is the speed of whatever wave you are dealing with.
Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

But, still, could the ratio ##T / \rho = v^2## be interpreted as the tension propagating across the string at the speed ##v##?

davidge said:
But, still, could the ratio T/ρ=v2T/ρ=v2T / \rho = v^2 be interpreted as the tension propagating across the string at the speed vvv?
##v## is the speed at which a disturbance in the string would travel. If you plucked the string, the distortion in it's shape would travel down the string at this speed.

Likes davidge
c is speed of light that has a numerical value of 3*10^8 m/s.

Likes davidge
Preston Leggett said:
c is speed of light that has a numerical value of 3*10^8 m/s.

Did you even read OP and other posts? c does have more general meaning in the context of OP.

Likes davidge
If I understand the OP post correctly, he is trying to use the string derivation of the wave equation to glean insight into the "cause" of c, i.e. apply that insight into space-time.
I don't think you can. I think you just have to take the 1/c^2 as a factor that, while eventually causing the wave speed, can have very different and unrelated derivations.

Likes davidge
Thank you all

1. What is the constant c?

The constant c, also known as the speed of light, is a physical quantity that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Why is the constant c important?

The constant c is important because it is a fundamental constant in the laws of physics and is used to define other important quantities, such as energy and mass, in the famous equation E=mc².

3. How was the value of the constant c determined?

The value of the constant c was determined through experiments and observations by scientists, such as Albert Michelson and Edward Morley, in the late 19th and early 20th century.

4. Does the constant c ever change?

According to the theory of relativity, the constant c is considered to be a universal constant and does not change in any reference frame or under any conditions. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that the value of c may vary in different dimensions or at extremely high energies.

5. How is the constant c used in everyday life?

The constant c is used in various technologies, such as GPS systems and satellite communications, to calculate the time it takes for signals to travel from one point to another. It is also used in medical imaging and other scientific fields to measure distances and speeds of particles.