Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of this Integral?

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    What is the statistical meaning of the following integral

[tex]\int^{a}_{o} g(\vartheta) d(\vartheta)[/tex] = [tex]\int^{\infty}_{a} g(\vartheta) d(\vartheta)[/tex]

where [tex]g(\vartheta)[/tex] is a Gaussian in [tex]\vartheta[/tex] describing the transition frequency fluctuation in a gaseous system (assume two-level and inhomogeneous) .

[tex]\vartheta = \omega_{0} -\omega[/tex], where [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] is the peak frequency and [tex]\omega[/tex] the running frequency.

I can see that the integral finds a point [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex] for which the area under the curve (the Gaussian) between 0 to a and a to [tex]\infty[/tex] are equal.

But is there a statistical or physical meaning to this integral? Does it find something like the most-probable value [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex]? But the most probable value should be [tex]\vartheta = 0[/tex] in my understanding! So what does the point [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex] tell us?

I will be grateful if somebody can explain this and/or direct me to a reference.

Cheers

Jamy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    median positive value?

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook