Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of this operator

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    From the "Lie Group" theory point of view we know that:

[tex] p [/tex] := is the generator for traslation (if the Lagrangian is invariant under traslation then p is conserved)

[tex] L [/tex]:= s the generator for rotation (if the Lagrangian is invariant under traslation then L is conserved)

(I'm referring to momentum p and Angular momentum L, although the notation is obvious :blushing: )

My question is if we take the "Lie derivative" and "covariant derivative" as a generalization of derivative for curved spaces.. if we suppose they're Lie operators..what's their meaning?..if the momentum operator acts like this:

[tex] pf(x)\rightarrow \frac{df}{dx} [/tex] derivative of the function..could the same holds for Lie and covariant derivative (covariant derivative is just a generalization to gradient, and i think that Lie derivatives can be expressed in some cases as Covariant derivatives, in QM the momentum vector applied over the wave function is just the gradient of the [tex] \psi [/tex]
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted