How to Multiply SU(4)XSU(2) Matrices to Form a 8x8 Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Cartesian product between SU(4) and SU(2) and the way to multiply two matrices, A in SU(4) and B in SU(2), to form an 8x8 matrix. The possibility of using a block matrix representation is also mentioned.
munirah
From my reading, the X between SU(4)XSU(2) mean Cartesian product.

But How the way to mutiply two matrix A in SU(4) and B in SU(2).

Example the matrix

A=\begin{pmatrix} a & b &
c & d \\ e& f &
g & h \\ i & j &
k & l \\ m & n&
o & p \end{pmatrix}

and

B=\begin{pmatrix} 1 &2 \\
3 &4 \end{pmatrix}

Please show me the way to multiply SU(4)XSU(2) to form 8X8 matrix.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B should be 2x2. Technically you can form such a product by components and express it as matrix but I don't think it is useful in any way in particle physics. The entries would be "a1", a2", "a3", "a4", "b1", "b2" and so on.

Likes munirah
mfb said:
B should be 2x2. Technically you can form such a product by components and express it as matrix but I don't think it is useful in any way in particle physics. The entries would be "a1", a2", "a3", "a4", "b1", "b2" and so on.
Sorry for wrong matrix. It mean, I just do the tensor product?

Thank you very much for helping me to solve my problem. Thank you again.thank you

mfb said:
Sure.
Sure? I would expect a block matrix ##\begin{bmatrix}A & 0 \\ 0 & B\end{bmatrix}##.

Representations are arbitrary, but the block matrix is probably a better model.

Likes munirah

What is SU(2)XSU(2)?

SU(2)XSU(2) is a mathematical notation used to represent the direct product of two SU(2) groups. SU(2) is a special unitary group with 2x2 complex matrices, and the direct product combines two of these groups into a larger group.

What does the "X" mean in SU(2)XSU(2)?

The "X" in SU(2)XSU(2) indicates the direct product operation between two groups. It is often used as a shorthand notation for this operation, similar to how "+" is used for addition.

What is the significance of SU(2)XSU(2) in physics?

SU(2)XSU(2) is a mathematical framework commonly used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical systems.

How is the meaning of X in SU(2)XSU(2) related to Lie groups?

X is used to denote the direct product operation in SU(2)XSU(2), which is a type of group multiplication. In Lie group theory, the direct product of two groups is used to construct larger groups with new properties and symmetries.

Can SU(2)XSU(2) be extended to more than two groups?

Yes, the direct product operation can be extended to any number of groups. For example, the notation SU(2)XSU(2)XSU(2) would represent the direct product of three SU(2) groups. This can be useful in studying more complex physical systems with multiple symmetries.