1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurability and Distance

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X, Y be subsets of R and defined d(X, Y) = inf {|x - y| : x in X and y in Y}.

(i) Prove that if d(X, Y) > 0, then m*(X cup Y) = m*(X) + m*(Y)

(ii) Prove, without using any facts about measurability, that if X, Y are disjoint and compact, then m*(X cup Y) = m*(X) + m*(Y).

2. Relevant equations
    m* is Lebesgue outer measure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Concerning (i), d(X, Y) > 0 implies that X and Y are disjoint right? But being disjoint is not enough to conclude that m*(X cup Y) = m*(X) + m*(Y).

Concerning (ii), since X and Y are disjoint, d(X, Y) > 0 and so part (i) applies and we're done. Since we're not supposed to use measurability, I imagine that (i) uses measurability so this isn't allowed. I guess I'm forced to work with the definition of outer measure. By monotonicity of m*, m*(X cup Y) ≤ m*(X) + m*(Y) so I only need to prove the reverse inequality. Let {U_n} and {V_n} be coverings of X and Y by open intervals. Then {W_n} = {U_n} cup {V_n} is an covering of X cup Y. By compactness, we can shrink each of {U_n}, {V_n} and {W_n} so that they are finite. Now {W_n} subseteq {U_n} cup {V_n}, so that sum L(W_n) ≤ sum L(U_n) + sum L(V_n), where L() returns the length of the interval. This is all I can think of. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    for (i) let d = d(X,Y), and [tex]O = \bigcup_{x\in X}(x - d,x+d)[/tex] so [tex]O\bigcap Y = empty set, [/tex] and [tex] X \subseteq O[/tex] then since O is measurable we get:

[tex]m(X\cup Y) = m((X\cup Y)\cap O) + m((X\cup Y)\cap O^{c}) = m(X) + m(Y). [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    I thought of that exact same argument. Thanks. Any ideas on (ii)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook