1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurable and integrable

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f : (0,1) —>R be measurable( w.r.t. Lebesgue measure) function in L1((0,1)). Define the function g on (0,1)× (0,1) by

g(x,y)=f(x)/x if 0<y<x<1
    g(x,y)=0 if 0<x≤y<1

Prove:
    1) g is measurable function (w.r.t. Lebesgue measure in the prodcut (0,1)× (0,1)

2)g is integrable in (0,1)× (0,1)

2. Relevant equations

I tried to think about the product space but it is not really obvious for me how to begin, Can anyone give me suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Start by showing this:

Let ##(\Omega,\mathcal{B})## is a set with ##\sigma##-algebra.
    Let ##A,B\in \mathcal{B}## disjoint, define ##\chi_A## and ##\chi_B## the indicator functions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_function#Definition
    Let ##f:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## and ##g:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be measurable.

Define ##h:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by

[tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]

Show that ##h## is measurable.

Use this to show (1).

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3
    So if I take A to be 0<y<x<1, B to be 0<x≤y<1 and construct [tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]
    consider set {x| h(x)> a} if it is in A then we have h= f then f measurable implies h measurable, is my construction right?

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my post, we had ##A\in \Omega## and ##f## had ##\Omega## as domain.
    Now, here is the slight technical issue that ##A\subseteq (0,1)^2##, but this is not the domain of ##f##. So you need to solve this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted