1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure a wave frequency

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wave source approaches you at constant speed and you measure a wave frequency f1. As the source passes and then recedes, you measure frequency f2. Find the expression for the frequency emitted if the source were stationary in terms of f1, f2, and wave speed v.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure which equations are relevant, but here are some:
    f=v/λ (where λ = wavelength)
    for situations in which the source is in motion relative to a stationary receiver
    fr=(fs)/(1±u/v) where fr=frequency the receiver receives; fs= frequency emitted by source, u=speed of source, and v= wave speed)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem. I know that the answer will be in terms of variables...
    I also know that fs= fr when the source and receiver are stationary
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    Re: frequency

You are a little bit confused.
    The problem asks to find fs. This is the frequency of the source and this is what the onserver will detect if the source is stationary.
    f1 and f2 are the values of fr corresponding to the two signs in your formula for the Doppler effect.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?