Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Measure air leakage

1. Mar 23, 2017 #1
    I was not sure where to post this so decided to start here. If there is a better section please let me know...

If you put a sealed device on a scale and place in an air tight box then fill with air pressure would the weight change of the device if there was a leak? I am trying to do a test to check watertight seal without water. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2017 #2
    Just to understand this correctly, you have a box in a box, and the inner box leaks gas to the outer box?

Since no material gets removed from the system that is being weighed (both boxes), the weight will stay the same.

4. Mar 24, 2017 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the test can be completed within a few hours and not require whole days, could you instead place the pressurised watertight box inside a balloon, then watch to see whether the balloon inflates? Start with the balloon deflated....

5. Mar 24, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This method concerns me because one reason water is used rather than air is pressurized air is explosive and pressurized water is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted