How is a probability measure defined on a sequence of random variables?

In summary, the conversation is about defining a probability measure on a sequence of random variables and the confusion surrounding whether the probability measure should be defined on the product space or on the individual domains of the random variables. The conversation also delves into the concept of stochastic processes and how they relate to probability spaces and random variables. The idea of coordinate projections and joint distributions is also discussed.
tjm7582
I have been trying to learn some measure-theoretic probability in my spare time, and I seem to have become a bit confused when it comes to defining a probability measure on a sequence of random variables (e.g., the Law of Large Numbers).

Most texts start by defining a random variable [tex]X{i}[/tex], which is a function mapping some set[tex]\Omega[/tex] into some other set. Now, say that we want to make some statement about the probability of the average of two random variables, [tex]X{1}[/tex] and [tex]X{2}[/tex], which are defined on [tex]\Omega[/tex]1 and [tex]\Omega[/tex]2, respectively . When we go to make statements about the probability of this average, is the probability measure defined on [tex]\Omega[/tex]1*[tex]\Omega[/tex]2? It seems to me that for this to make sense, you would essentially need to redefine [tex]X{1}[/tex] as a function defined on [tex]\Omega[/tex]1*[tex]\Omega[/tex]2. Is this correct?

In case I butchered this royally, I am really trying to make sense of page 27 in Billingsley Probability and Measure in the context of the Law of Large Numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general when talking about several random variables, they would be defined on the same proability space. Think about them as different functions on the same space.

I guess I am still a bit confused. Consider, for example, the case of a stochastic process that is just two indexed random variables, X1 and X2. Each random variable is defined on the same domain, O. A realization of the stochastic process consists of a "draw" from O for each of the random variables. Thus, one sample path of the process would be {X1(w1), X2(w2)}. It would seem to me that the stochastic process would be a function on O*O (the Cartesian product of the domains), in which case the probability measure we use to talk about the stochastic process would be defined on O*O.

It almost seems as if most of the textbooks define each of the random variables, Xi, as coordinate projections on the product space, in which case you can just talk about measures defined on the product space. Does this make sense?

{X1(w1), X2(w2)}? Why not {X1(w), X2(w)}

Simple example. Dice tossing. Sample space has six points. Random variables (pair of dice) are two random outcomes. A stochastic process example would be a sequence of tosses.

In the above example, if we take w to be a member of S, isn't it the case that S is the following Cartesian product: S={1,2,3,4,5,6}*{1,2,3,4,5,6}? Thus, if X1(w) is a random variable that is the "first roll of the die," X1() is nothing more than the coordinate projection defined on S, correct?

I can't understand why you keep insisting on separate probability spaces for the two random variables and using a product space. The random variables are separate functions on the SAME probability space.

mathman said:
The random variables are separate functions on the SAME probability space.

Only when considered separately. To specify the joint distribution you need the product space, otherwise the r.v.'s would be equal (perfect correlation).

What is a measure defined on a sequence?

A measure defined on a sequence is a mathematical concept used to assign a numerical value to each element in a sequence. It is typically used in probability and statistics to quantify the likelihood of certain outcomes in a sequence of events.

What is the purpose of a measure defined on a sequence?

The purpose of a measure defined on a sequence is to provide a way to analyze and understand the behavior of a sequence of events. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the probability of certain outcomes occurring in the sequence.

What are some examples of measures defined on a sequence?

Examples of measures defined on a sequence include probabilities, frequencies, and relative frequencies. These measures are used to quantify the likelihood of specific outcomes in a sequence of events.

How is a measure defined on a sequence calculated?

The calculation of a measure defined on a sequence depends on the type of measure being used. For probabilities, it involves dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For frequencies and relative frequencies, it involves counting the number of times a specific outcome occurs in a sequence.

What are the limitations of a measure defined on a sequence?

One limitation of a measure defined on a sequence is that it is based on assumptions and may not accurately reflect the actual behavior of the sequence. It also does not account for external factors that may influence the outcomes in the sequence. Additionally, the accuracy of the measure may be affected by the size of the sequence, as a smaller sequence may not accurately represent the true probability of certain outcomes.