Measure of order/organisation

• Thread starter Jamesss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, James is trying to determine the level of order of a pattern of particles on a sample surface. One approach is to calculate the mean distance between particles and compare it to an idealized grid distance. He is also considering using a statistical criterion to determine adjacency between particles. However, it is argued that a simpler approach may be more effective in determining the level of order. This involves dividing the surface into equal areas and comparing the observed number of particles in each region to an expected number. The deviation from random distribution can then be used as a measure of organization.
Jamesss
Hello,
I'm trying to determine the level of order of a pattern of particles on a sample surface. One idea was to calculate the mean distance between one particle and those adjacent and compare them to the idealised (perfect grid arrangment) distance if I take the area of the surface divided by the number of particles. Would this be the right path to go down:yuck: ? If so, what statistical criterion could I use to determine whether a particle is adjacent or not?

All the best,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would there be a statistical criterion for adjacency? Either they are or are not adjacent, I don't see any stastics in that decision. What is the defintion of adjacent that you are using?

For example: A nearby particle B may be in the viccinity of A but not necessarily adjacent. There may be another particle between A & B. Question is whether a radial distance (and how far it should extend) should be used to include particles in the viccinity of a given particle in the determining of the mean particle spacing, whether they are adjecent or not.

Thanks,
James

I'm trying to determine the level of order of a pattern of particles on a sample surface. One idea was to calculate the mean distance between one particle and those adjacent and compare them to the idealised (perfect grid arrangment) distance if I take the area of the surface divided by the number of particles. Would this be the right path to go down ? If so, what statistical criterion could I use to determine whether a particle is adjacent or not?
Really, it doesn't matter what you do to get a statistic for the "level of order"; as long as you can determine how a "random" distribution of particles will score, you can use your statistic to test for a deviation from "random".

If you're dead set on your approach, then I would suggest just coming up with something simple to calculate and easy to analyze, rather than spend a lot of time worrying about the "right" way to determine adjacency.

Incidentally, my first idea would have been to divide your surface up into regions of equal area and count the number of particles in each region. The score would be the sum of

(observed # of particles - expected # of particles)²

for each region. (You probably want to divide by something clever) A grid-like arrangement of particles would be "too perfect", and score much lower than random. Other arrangements might score higher. I don't know if this would detect the sort of "organization" you're looking for, though.

Last edited:

What is the measure of order/organisation?

The measure of order/organisation is a quantitative way to assess the level of arrangement, structure, or pattern in a system or group of objects. It is often used in scientific fields such as physics, biology, and chemistry to describe the level of organization in a system.

Why is measuring order/organisation important in science?

Measuring order/organisation allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of systems. It also helps to identify any changes or disruptions in a system, which can provide valuable insights into the underlying processes at work.

What are some common methods for measuring order/organisation?

There are various methods for measuring order/organisation, depending on the specific system being studied. In physics, entropy is a commonly used measure of disorder, while in biology, complexity and organization can be quantified through measures such as Shannon entropy and fractal dimension.

Can order/organisation be measured in non-living systems?

Yes, order/organisation can be measured in both living and non-living systems. In fact, the study of order and organization in non-living systems, such as crystals and chemical reactions, has been a key aspect of scientific research for centuries.

How can the measure of order/organisation be used in practical applications?

The measure of order/organisation can have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science. For example, it can be used to design more efficient and organized structures, or to monitor and track changes in complex systems for medical or environmental purposes.