How can we show that any finite cover of A also covers the interval (0,1)?

In summary, we are using the definition of outer measure to show that for any finite collection of intervals covering the set of rational numbers between 0 and 1, the sum of their lengths must be greater than or equal to 1. This is because any finite cover of A must also cover the interval (0,1). However, there may be difficulty in writing an argument to prove this statement.
lmedin02

Homework Statement

Let A be the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1. Show that for any "finite" collection of intervals [tex]I_n[/tex] that cover A the following inequality holds: [tex]\sum I_n \geq 1 [/tex].

Homework Equations

We are using the definition of the outer measure here. Where the outer measure of A is define as the infimum of [tex]\sum I_n [/tex] where the infimum is taken over all possible open intervals that cover A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the outer measure of A is 0 because A is a countable set. If I consider finite covers of A, then the sum of their lengths obviously add up to 1 or greater. But I still have no sense of direction on where to continue with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I have an idea on how to prove this now. Any finite cover of A must also cover the interval (0,1). Thus the sum of the lengths of the intervals that cover A must be greater than 1 since they also cover the interval (0,1). However, I still am having difficulty writing down an argument to show that any finite cover of A also covers the interval (0,1).

What is a measure on the real line?

A measure on the real line is a mathematical concept that allows us to assign a numerical value to subsets of the real numbers. It is a way to understand the size or extent of a set on the real number line.

What is the purpose of a measure on the real line?

The purpose of a measure on the real line is to provide a way to quantify the size or extent of a set of real numbers. This can be useful in understanding the properties of a set and in solving problems in various fields of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and probability.

How is a measure on the real line different from a normal length or distance measurement?

A measure on the real line is different from a normal length or distance measurement in that it can be applied to sets that may not have a physical length or distance. A measure on the real line is a more abstract concept that can be used to understand the properties of sets of real numbers more generally.

What are some examples of measures on the real line?

Some common examples of measures on the real line include the Lebesgue measure, which is used to understand the size of intervals and sets of real numbers, and the Hausdorff measure, which is used to understand the size of more complex sets with fractal-like properties.

How is a measure on the real line related to integration?

A measure on the real line is closely related to integration, as it can be thought of as a generalization of the concept of integration. Integration can be seen as a way to calculate the measure of a set, and measures on the real line can be used to understand the properties of integrals in a more abstract and general way.