1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure question

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Yep its me again, with another dumb question.

Say you have a set I with an ultrafilter F on it. Now I came across the following in a text on nonstandard analysis:

let m be the measure induced by F defined as m(A) =1 if A is an element of F and zero otherwise.

I know this is going to be stupid, but it doesn't seem as though m is even finitely additive. Suppose A and B are elements of F then AUB is in F since if they weren't then their complement A'^B' (A' the complement of A and B' the complement of B and ^ for intersection) would be. But if A'^B' is in F then we could intersect A with A'^B' and get the empty set, which is not an element of F. So anyways, since AUB is in F the "induced measure" m(AUB)=1, but the m(A)+m(B)=2, so what gives?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A and B are not disjoint.

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    Doh! Of course, they can't be if they belong to F. So then the fact that m is finitely additive is vacuously satisfied. There are no pairwise disjoint elements of F. So likewise for the countable additivity clause. So then m is a measure because F has not pairwise....i see.

Thanks Matt Grime!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?