Exploring the Link between Heat and Temperature: A Junior Cert Investigation

In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation for a Junior Certificate in Ireland that involves measuring the relation between current and heating effect in a circuit. The concept of Joule's Law is also mentioned and the experiment is described. The formula Q=mc(dT) is suggested to convert temperature readings to joules. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that this is the correct method for calculating heat in joules.
tomMccune
Hi everyone,

I have an investigation to carry out for my Junior Certificate in Ireland. What I'm not sure about is the link between heat and temperature. I know that heat is energy, and temperature is the measurement of this energy, but I'm not sure what the link between celcius and joules is.

1. Measure the relation between the current of a circuit and the heating effect produced by that circuit2. Joule's Law - W = (I^2)(R)(t) (I'm sure this comes into it somewhere, my teacher has brought it up.
3. The way that my partner and I have carried out the experiment is:

We would measure 50ml of water and pour it into a polystyrene cup. We would then use a digital thermometer to get a reading of the temperature of the water as a control. This varied each time we got new water and measured it, probably due to weather, humidity etc. We would connect a battery to a rheostat (variable resistor), then to an ammeter, then to a wire coil, which would be submerged in the water in the polystyrene cup, then back to the other battery terminal. So, we have been waiting 8 minutes for the water to heat up, each time with a different current, then measuring the temperature of the water and the increase from the control. How would this be relavent to a measurement in joules (What formula would I use to convert my readings in Celcius to Joules?)? I don't get it at all.

Here are our results (A little weird, but we can... edit them, I know they're supposed to be directly related).

table.jpg

Thanks for any help, I hope I've been clear enough.

Tom.

Physics news on Phys.org

use Q=mc(dT)

Where is the mass of water
c is the specific heat capacity of water
dT is th temperature difference.

Thanks. To see if I've got it right:

Q (heat in joules) = m (mass of water, 50ml/cc) x c (heat capacity of water, 4.186j/cm2) x dT (Difference from control, 0.03'C)
= 6.279J

Sorry if I got that completely wrong, I've never done anything like that before.

Last edited:

yep, that would be the correct way to calculate it.

What is the purpose of this investigation?

The purpose of this investigation is to explore the link between heat and temperature. This will involve conducting experiments and collecting data to understand how these two concepts are related.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In simpler terms, heat is the movement of energy, while temperature is a measurement of that energy.

How will you conduct the experiments for this investigation?

The experiments for this investigation will involve using a variety of materials, such as thermometers and heat sources, to measure the effects of heat on temperature. The procedures will be carefully planned and controlled to ensure accurate results.

What can be learned from this investigation?

This investigation will help us better understand the relationship between heat and temperature and how they affect each other. It will also provide insight into the behavior of different materials when exposed to heat and how this can impact their temperature.

What are some real-world applications of this investigation?

Understanding the link between heat and temperature has many real-world applications. It can help us design more efficient heating and cooling systems, improve cooking techniques, and even predict weather patterns. This investigation will also lay the foundation for future studies in thermodynamics and energy transfer.