Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Measure theory question

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    This is a practice final exam problem that has been giving me fits: Let [itex]E[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable subset of the interval [itex][0,1][/itex] that has finite measure. Show that there exist two points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x-y[/itex] is rational.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Moved to HH. Could you please post your work so far? Thanks.

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    Well, I haven't done much, as I'm rather stumped here. My professor gave me the following hint: "countable unions." He also mentioned that examining the non-measurable set constructed with the axiom of choice might help. But this sort of has me even more baffled.

5. May 8, 2010 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you start by summarizing for us the construction of the non-measurable set you're referring to? If it's the usual construction in most textbooks, it should start by defining an equivalence relation on the unit interval, such that two points [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are equivalent if and only if [itex]x - y[/itex] is rational. That seems like a promising start.

6. May 8, 2010 #5
    That is exactly it. We consider an equivalence relation on [itex][0,1][/itex] defined as follows: [itex]x\sim y[/itex] if [itex]x - y \in \mathbb Q[/itex]. We then employ the Axiom of Choice and choose one member [itex]x_\alpha[/itex] from each equivalence class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex], and define the set [itex] N = \{x_\alpha \}[/itex]. The uncountability of [itex]N[/itex] follows from the fact that [itex]N[/itex] must satisfy [itex]1 \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty m(N) \leq 3[/itex] (where [itex]m[/itex] denotes Lebesgue measure).

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  7. May 8, 2010 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, now let's consider your set [itex]E[/itex]. Suppose the assertion were not true. Then there do not exist two distinct points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Now consider the implication in terms of the equivalence classes [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]. What is the maximum number of elements of [itex]E[/itex] that can be contained in each class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]?

8. May 8, 2010 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. I am assuming that in the problem statement, "finite measure" should really be "finite NON-ZERO measure." Otherwise the statement is false, as the example [itex]E = \{0, 1/\sqrt{2}\}[/itex] demonstrates.

9. May 8, 2010 #8
    You're right. Actually, instead of finite, I should have said "positive" (which I'm assuming means [itex]0 < mE < \infty[/itex]).

10. May 8, 2010 #9
    (1) You're very kind to help me out with this. Thanks. I'd buy you a beer if I could. (Or a glass of wine; whichever floats your boat.)

(2) Ah, I think I see...so each equivalence class consists of a single point: Given [itex]x,y\in E[/itex], [itex]x \sim y[/itex] iff [itex]x = y[/itex]. I guess this means there must be uncountably many equivalence classes, then, since [itex]mE > 0[/itex] implies it's necessarily uncountable. More importantly, don't we have [itex]N = \{ x_\alpha \} = E[/itex]? I guess we can derive a contradiction from this?

11. May 8, 2010 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, "positive" makes more sense than "finite." In fact, [itex]m(E) \leq m([0,1]) = 1[/itex] so finiteness is automatic.

OK, so far we have established that each equivalence class contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex].

Now we can use the axiom of choice to construct a set [itex]S[/itex] containing one point of [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] for each equivalence class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] for which [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] is non-empty. Since each [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex], what can you say about [itex]S[/itex]?

12. May 8, 2010 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. I love Belgian ales.:smile:

13. May 8, 2010 #12
    Ok. I think my argument above has shown that each equivalence class consists of *exactly* one point, and that if we apply the Axiom of Choice (hehe) and pluck one point out of each equivalence class, at the end of the day we get [itex]N = E[/itex]. So, if we define the translates [itex]N_k = N + r_k = E + r_k[/itex] for an enumeration of the rationals in [itex][-1,1][/itex], we find that

[tex]
    mE \leq \sum_{k = 1}^\infty mN_k \leq 3,
    [/tex]

since it can be shown that the sets N_k are disjoint, [itex]E \subset \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty N_k[/itex] (just take [itex]r_k = 0[/itex]) and [itex]\bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty N_k \subset [-1,2][/itex]. But this implies, by translation invariance of [itex]m[/itex], that

[tex]
    \sum_{k=1}^\infty mE \leq 3.
    [/tex]

This is absurd, since we assumed [itex]mE > 0 \Rightarrow \sum_1^\infty mE = \infty[/itex]. Hence [itex]E[/itex] is not measurable. Have I missed anything?

14. May 8, 2010 #13
    La Chouffe, maybe? Chimay?

15. May 8, 2010 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Replying to your updated message:

Let's be sure we agree about everything so far. Using your notation:

The equivalence classes are called [itex]E_\alpha[/itex].

Now each [itex]E_\alpha \cap E[/itex] contains either zero or one element. For convenience, define

[tex]A = \{\alpha : E_\alpha \cap E \neq \emptyset\}[/tex]

Using the axiom of choice, for each [itex]\alpha \in A[/itex] we choose [itex]x_\alpha \in E_\alpha \cap E[/itex]. We thereby construct this set:

[tex]N = \bigcup_{\alpha \in A} \{x_\alpha\}[/tex].

As you pointed out, we actually have [itex]N = E[/itex].

Now let

[tex]\{r_i\}_{i=1}^{\infty}[/tex]

be an enumeration of the rationals in [itex][0,1][/itex]

And define the following sets:

[tex]N_i = N + r_i[/tex]

where the addition is performed modulo 1.

Then, exactly as in the construction of the standard non-measurable set, we have

[tex]N_i \cap N_j = \emptyset[/tex]

whenever [itex]i \neq j[/itex], i.e., the sets are disjoint.

Then consider

[tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} N_i[/tex]

What can you say about the measure of this set, and why is that a contradiction?

P.S. For some reason the preview function is behaving strangely - it puts the wrong stuff in each TeX section. So I will have to fix any typos after I post the message.

16. May 8, 2010 #15

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you mean

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty[/tex]

not

[tex]\bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty[/tex]

Yes, now you use the fact (just as in the standard construction of the nonmeasurable set) that the [itex]N_k[/itex] are pairwise disjoint, and also the translation invariance of Lebesgue measure, to obtain

[tex]\bigcup_{k=1}^\infty N_k \subset [-1,2][/tex]

and thus

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty m(E) \leq 3[/tex]

That can't be true if [itex]m(E) > 0[/itex]. (Note that it COULD be true if [itex]m(E) = 0[/itex], which is why the positive hypothesis is important.)

Thus we have a contradiction. Therefore our assumption was wrong, and [itex]E[/itex] must indeed contain distinct [itex]x,y[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

17. May 8, 2010 #16
    jbunniii,

Yes, I meant [itex]\sum[/itex] instead of [itex]\bigcup[/itex]. You've also pointed out to me that there is actually no contradiction present in

[tex]
    mE \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty mE.
    [/tex]

The contradiction comes from the *other* inequality, which would force [itex]mE = 0[/itex], which is impossible. I have made the appropriate corrections to my posts above.

Thanks again!

18. May 8, 2010 #17

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good! By the way, notice that we didn't actually need the axiom of choice in this case to construct the set [itex]N[/itex]. We could have simply said "let [itex]N = E[/itex]" and shown directly that the [itex]N_k[/itex]'s are pairwise disjoint.

19. May 8, 2010 #18

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook