1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure Theory Question

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex](X,\mathcal{B},\mu)[/itex] be a measure space and [itex]g[/itex] be a nonnegative measurable function on [itex]X[/itex]. Set [itex]\nu (E)=\int_{E}g\,d\mu[/itex]. Prove that [itex]
    \nu[/itex] is a measure and [tex]\int f\, d \nu =\int fg\,d\mu[/tex] for all nonnegative measurable functions [itex]f[/itex] on [itex]X[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm basically at a total loss on how to start this. I'll keep working on it tonight, and will add to it as I go.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried applying the definition of "measure" to [itex]\nu[/itex]? You'll have to use some basic results, like the monotone convergence theorem, to get stuff to work out.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I've shown for non-negative simple functions that [tex]\int \phi\,d\nu=\int \phi g \,d\mu.[/tex] Now I wish to show it in general for non-negative measurable functions. So I say let [itex]f[/itex] be a non-negative measurable function on X. Fix [itex]\phi[/itex] as a simple function such that [itex]0\le\phi \le f[/itex]. Hence we have [itex]\int \phi\,d\nu=\int \phi g \,d\mu[/itex], and thus [tex]\int f\, d\nu=\sup_{\phi} \int \phi \, d\,\nu=\sup_{\phi} \int g\phi\, d\,\mu \overset{?}{=} \int gf\, d\mu.[/tex]

Am I allowed to make that last equality?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4
    Should I do some inequalities for simple functions above and below? I feel like that last equality should be an inequality. Hrmf.

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it first for step functions f, of the form
    [tex] f = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i \chi(I_i), [/tex] where [itex] I_1, I_2,..., I_n [/itex] is a measurable partition of [itex] R [/itex] and [itex] \chi(A) [/itex] is the characteristic function of a set [itex] A \subset R: \: \chi(A)(x) = 0 \text{ if } x \not\in A, \text{ and } \chi(A)(x) = 1 \text{ if } x \in A.[/itex]

RGV

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

I've already done this for simple functions, I'm just stuck on how to show that any non-negative measurable function satisfies the equality. Should i take approximations from above and below? or should what I gave in my first reply be sufficient?

8. Feb 29, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know how your textbook defines the integral for general functions, but many treatments define it as the limit of integrals of step functions.

RGV

9. Feb 29, 2012 #8
    I'm using Royden, where the integral of a non-negative function is defined as
    [tex]\int f\, d\,\mu =\sup \{\int \phi \, d\mu :0\le\phi\le f,\,\phi \, simple\}[/tex]

10. Feb 29, 2012 #9
    So my question is if I'm allowed to say this:
    [tex]\int f\, d\nu = \sup \{\int \phi\, d\nu :0\le\phi\le f,\, \phi \,simple\} =\sup \{\int \phi g\,d\mu :0\le\phi\le f,\,\phi\,simple\} = \int fg\,d\mu?[/tex]

11. Mar 1, 2012 #10
    Nevermind, I'll just use Monotone Convergence on a sequence of simple functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook