1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure theory

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a measure f mapping from a family of sets A to [0,infinity]

Let the measure be finitely additive and countable subadditive.

Prove that f is countably additive on A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To show equality from an inequality we do ie.

a<=b>=a so a=b

I tried this strategy with measures and sets but couldn't see it through. I might need to construct another set but don't see what to construct.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't this just the fact that a countable sum is the limit of its finite subsums (by definition)?

Or, in the thing you're doing with a<=b<=a (which is what you should have written, rather than writing b>=a twice), a is the infinite sum of the measures, and b is the measure of the infinite union of the sets. What you need to do is show b=>a-e for any e, which is just saying something about sums being limits of partial subsums.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. Aug 17, 2007 #3
    I prefer to show reverse inequality.

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This would show the reverse inequality, if by that you mean it would show that a<=b<=a: one is clear b<=a, and the other would show that b>a-e for any e. thus b=>a.

6. Aug 17, 2007 #5
    subtractions are avoided when dealing with measures because the element of infinity is in the set which cannot be subtracted. So equivalently show b+e>a for any e? To show b>=a

7. Aug 17, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, what on earth does that mean? Just treat the case of a collection of sets having infinite measure separately if you must, but it is not important - the sequence either converges or diverges.

Look, I have a sequence of measurable (i.e. of finite measure) sets

S_1, S_2, S_3,...

And I know that m(S_1 u S_2 u S_3 .....) => m(S_1 u S_2 ... u S_n)

for any n. Now do you understand why this is just a statement about the sum of a series? I am *not* subtracting any measures, the -e is purely from what it means for an infinite sum to be the limit of its partial subsums.

OK, let's put it this way: if any of the S_i has infinite measure, so does the union and there is nothing to prove. So suppose each S_i has finite measure.

Let X_n be the union of S_1,..,S_n, and let X be the union of all the S_i

Then m(X_n)=m(S_1)+..+m(S_n) by hypothesis, and

What do we know? m(X) is less than or equal to the limit of m(X_n) by assumption, and m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n - it's just a question about sequences:

suppose that a_n tends to a and that b satisfies a<=b and b=>a_n for all n, then b=a (note this even includes the case when a is infinity.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. Aug 17, 2007 #7
    I am unsure about the statement 'b=>a_n for all n'. Do you mean b>a_n for any finite n?

I am a bit rusty with proof of infinite sequences and series.

9. Aug 18, 2007 #8
    I think I see where you are getting at. You have laid out most of the solution in post 6 and recquires one more step or so to complete it. All I have to prove is that m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n.

10. Aug 18, 2007 #9
    In fact to prove 'm(X) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n.' All one needs is the monatonicity of measure since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n. => lim(n->infinity) m(X_n)<=m(X)

but m(X)<= lim(n->infinity) m(X_n) as given so m(X)=lim(n->infinity) m(X_n) = infinite series as each partial sum is a finite series. Take n-> infinity and you get an infinite series.

The assumption in this is that all sets S_i in X are disjoint and rightly so they should for equality. It seems like this is a nice problem to test your knowledge of infinite series and sequences.

11. Aug 18, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant what I wrote. And how can there be anything other than a 'finite n' since n is an element of the natural numbers?

That is a bit worrying if you're doing measure theory.

12. Aug 19, 2007 #11
    This statement is correct?

'since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n implies lim(n->infinity) m(X_n)<=m(X)'

13. Aug 20, 2007 #12
    Matt, just an observation. I never recall you make a post telling me I am right. Is not replying your way of saying that there is nothing wrong with the post?

14. Aug 20, 2007 #13

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you want me to say?

"since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n"

is obviously true by the definition of measure.

m(X_n) is an increasing sequence of real numbers bounded above be m(X), so of course the limit of m(X_n) is less than m(X), again by the basic definitions of analysis.

Does that ease your mind?

15. Aug 21, 2007 #14
    If its true then it would be good to just say so. No further explanation is needed. I should be grateful that you're here in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?