1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure theory

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose E1 and E2 are a pair of compact sets in Rd with E1 ⊆ E2, and let a = m(E1) and b=m(E2). Prove that for any c with a<c<b, there is a compact set E withE1 ⊆E⊆E2 and m(E) = c.

2. Relevant equations
    m(E) is ofcourese refering to the outer measure of E

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that for d=1 measurable subset of [0,1]. Is it worth it to look at the measure m(E∩[0,t]) as function of t?
    I really don't know how to tackle this one

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The name of the subject is "measure" theory, not "measurement" theory.

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think that is the way to do it.

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed...

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What does it mean for ##E_1## to be compact? Does anything change if you reduce the task to ##E_2## as topological space? What do you know about the closure of finitely many open sets of finite mass? (You probably won't need to regard ##d## at all.)

7. Dec 1, 2015 #6
    Could you help a bit along the way?

8. Dec 1, 2015 #7

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you may need to exploit continuity of the measure (w.r.t. inclusion).

9. Dec 1, 2015 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of an interval you have to use a d-dimensional cube with side t. Lets call that cube C(t).
    Now define the function ##f(t)=m(E_1\cup(E_2\cap C(t))## on a well chosen interval ##[x,y]## of ##\mathbb R## so that ##f(x)=a## and ##f(y)=b##.

Remember that ##E_1## and ##E_2## are compact, and thus bounded.

EDIT: not to discourage you, but it does look like quite a difficult exercise. I think it should work with the function ##f## given above though.

EDIT2: maybe the way @fresh_42 suggests will be easier.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  10. Dec 2, 2015 #9
    I know what you mean, but I want to learn " the hard way" in order to understand it better. I am trying to teach myself measure theory so for me it's not "just homework".

I can't see how to apply the last information?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  11. Dec 2, 2015 #10

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First thing to do is to find ##x## and ##y## satisfying ##f(x)=a,f(y)=b##.
    I think that ##x## is easy, but for a arbitrary ##E_2##, it is not even sure that ##y## exists. But ##E_2## being compact (and thus bounded) makes it easy to find some ##y## large enough to satisfy ##f(y)=b##.

Next challenge will be to prove that ##f## is continuous.
    Note that ##f## is a monotone function: ##s \leq t \Rightarrow f(s) \leq f(t)##

Set ##E(t)=E_1\cup(E_2\cap C(t))##
    Verify that if ##s \leq t##, ##E(t)\setminus E(s) \subset C(t) \setminus C(s)##

Also remember that if ##A \subset B##, then ##m(B \setminus A)=m(B)-m(A)## (assuming that A and B are both measurable of course).

12. Dec 2, 2015 #11
    Can I use this information to conclude then?

13. Dec 2, 2015 #12

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I understand your question. I used that in the final step proving that the function ##f## is continuous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted