Proving Compact Set Exists with m(E)=c

In summary: Yes, I think you are on the right track now. You need to show that ##f(t)=m(E(t))## is continuous. You can use what you have shown so far to show that ##f(t)-f(s)=m(E(t))-m(E(s))=m(E(t)\setminus E(s))##. What do you know about the measure of a compact set?Yes, I think you are on the right track now. You need to show that ##f(t)=m(E(t))## is continuous. You can use what you have shown so far to show that ##f(t)-f(s)=m(E(t))-m(E(s))=m(E(t)\setminus E(s))##. What
the_dane

Homework Statement

Suppose E1 and E2 are a pair of compact sets in Rd with E1 ⊆ E2, and let a = m(E1) and b=m(E2). Prove that for any c with a<c<b, there is a compact set E withE1 ⊆E⊆E2 and m(E) = c.

Homework Equations

m(E) is ofcourese referring to the outer measure of E

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for d=1 measurable subset of [0,1]. Is it worth it to look at the measure m(E∩[0,t]) as function of t?
I really don't know how to tackle this one

Physics news on Phys.org
the_dane said:

Homework Statement

Suppose E1 and E2 are a pair of compact sets in Rd with E1 ⊆ E2, and let a = m(E1) and b=m(E2). Prove that for any c with a<c<b, there is a compact set E withE1 ⊆E⊆E2 and m(E) = c.

Homework Equations

m(E) is ofcourese referring to the outer measure of E

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for d=1 measurable subset of [0,1]. Is it worth it to look at the measure m(E∩[0,t]) as function of t?
I really don't know how to tackle this one

The name of the subject is "measure" theory, not "measurement" theory.

the_dane said:
Yes, I think that is the way to do it.

Ray Vickson said:
The name of the subject is "measure" theory, not "measurement" theory.
Fixed...

What does it mean for ##E_1## to be compact? Does anything change if you reduce the task to ##E_2## as topological space? What do you know about the closure of finitely many open sets of finite mass? (You probably won't need to regard ##d## at all.)

Samy_A said:
Yes, I think that is the way to do it.
Could you help a bit along the way?

I think you may need to exploit continuity of the measure (w.r.t. inclusion).

Instead of an interval you have to use a d-dimensional cube with side t. Let's call that cube C(t).
Now define the function ##f(t)=m(E_1\cup(E_2\cap C(t))## on a well chosen interval ##[x,y]## of ##\mathbb R## so that ##f(x)=a## and ##f(y)=b##.

Remember that ##E_1## and ##E_2## are compact, and thus bounded.

EDIT: not to discourage you, but it does look like quite a difficult exercise. I think it should work with the function ##f## given above though.

EDIT2: maybe the way @fresh_42 suggests will be easier.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
EDIT: not to discourage you, but it does look like quite a difficult exercise. I think it should work with the function ff given above though.
I know what you mean, but I want to learn " the hard way" in order to understand it better. I am trying to teach myself measure theory so for me it's not "just homework".

Samy_A said:
Instead of an interval you have to use a d-dimensional cube with side t. Let's call that cube C(t).
Now define the function ##f(t)=m(E_1\cup(E_2\cap C(t))## on a well chosen interval ##[x,y]## of ##\mathbb R## so that ##f(x)=a## and ##f(y)=b##.

Remember that ##E_1## and ##E_2## are compact, and thus bounded.
I can't see how to apply the last information?

Last edited:
the_dane said:
I can't see how to apply the last information?
First thing to do is to find ##x## and ##y## satisfying ##f(x)=a,f(y)=b##.
I think that ##x## is easy, but for a arbitrary ##E_2##, it is not even sure that ##y## exists. But ##E_2## being compact (and thus bounded) makes it easy to find some ##y## large enough to satisfy ##f(y)=b##.

Next challenge will be to prove that ##f## is continuous.
Note that ##f## is a monotone function: ##s \leq t \Rightarrow f(s) \leq f(t)##

Set ##E(t)=E_1\cup(E_2\cap C(t))##
Verify that if ##s \leq t##, ##E(t)\setminus E(s) \subset C(t) \setminus C(s)##

Also remember that if ##A \subset B##, then ##m(B \setminus A)=m(B)-m(A)## (assuming that A and B are both measurable of course).

Samy_A said:
Also remember that if ##A \subset B##, then ##m(B \setminus A)=m(B)-m(A)## .

Can I use this information to conclude then?

the_dane said:
Can I use this information to conclude then?
I'm not sure I understand your question. I used that in the final step proving that the function ##f## is continuous.

What does it mean to prove a compact set exists with m(E)=c?

Proving a compact set exists with m(E)=c means showing that there exists a set E with a Lebesgue measure (m(E)) equal to a given constant (c). This means that the set E has a finite volume or measure, and is therefore considered compact.

Why is proving the existence of a compact set important?

Proving the existence of a compact set is important because compact sets have many useful properties in mathematics and science. They can be used to prove the existence of solutions to equations, and are often easier to work with than non-compact sets.

What is the process for proving a compact set exists with m(E)=c?

The process for proving a compact set exists with m(E)=c involves showing that the set E satisfies the definition of a compact set, which means it is closed, bounded, and has a finite measure. This can be done using various methods such as the Heine-Borel theorem or the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.

Can a compact set exist with an infinite measure?

No, a compact set cannot have an infinite measure. By definition, a compact set must have a finite measure, meaning it cannot be infinite. However, a set with an infinite measure can still be compact if it is not bounded.

What are some real-world applications of proving the existence of a compact set?

Proving the existence of a compact set has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, compact sets can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of planets or the flow of fluids. They can also be used to solve optimization problems in engineering.