1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure/Uniform Convergence

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would just like to be pointed in the right direction. I have this theorem:

Let E be a measurable set of finite measure, and <fn> a sequence of measurable functions that converge to a real-valued function f a.e. on E. Then given ε>0 and [itex]\delta[/itex]>0, there is a set A[itex]\subset[/itex]E with mA<[itex]\delta[/itex], and an N such that for all x[itex]\notin[/itex]A and all n≥N,
    lfn(x)-f(x)l<ε

To me it appears to be concluding:
    Given ε>0 and [itex]\delta[/itex]>0, there is a set A[itex]\subset[/itex]E with mA<[itex]\delta[/itex], and an N such that for all x[itex]\notin[/itex]A and all n≥N,
    <fn> converges uniformly to a real-valued function f on E~A.

I know that this isn't case but I don't see why. So my question is what would the conclusion of this theorem need to say, in terms of ε and [itex]\delta[/itex], so that <fn> converges uniformly to a real-valued function f on E~A?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    The difference between definitions of uniform and pointwise convergence is really small. What you have there is really uniform convergence. Although I don't see why you need delta and A..
    Anyway, the difference is that in uniform convergence N does not depend on x. Swapping the conditions "there exists N" and "for all x" would produce the definition of pointwise convergence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook