Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure Yourself!

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    Today my sister asked me to measure her height so she can calculate her BMI. Being the lazy lout that I am I told her to measure herself. And then I started thinking of ways she could actually measure herself. I am embarassed to admit I could only think of two ways:

1) Let's round out her height to the nearest centimetre (oh yes, metric system! get with it). She should draw a line on the ground and mark of the metres. If she places copies of herself end-to-end -- by marking off her head and then placing her feet there and continuing, etc. -- eventually her head will coincide with an integer metre, allowing her to calculate her height.

2) Run into a pool and record the time her feet enter the water, and when her head passes the surface of the water. Then she measures the height of the ground from the height of the water. Of course she shouldn't jump into the pool, but simply run forward. A simple calculation will give her height.

Of course neither of these ideas is practiceable, but could work in theory. Nevertheless it's quite fun to think of ways she could measure her own height. Can you think of any other ways?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

There is an apparatus that is used to measure the vertical leap of an athlete at a sports combine. If she could construct something that would be similar, but taller than herself, she could measure how tall she was.

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2009/02/23/27de08fece1970ba9dca4a502ea5a433_resized.JPG [Broken]

In the photo, the athlete hits as many horizontal "pegs" as he can in order to measure how far he's traveled off of the ground. If she could do the same, except walk through hers, she'd be able to measure from the ground up to the last vertical "peg" to get an approximate height.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Well, yes, that would work, but my methods are certainly more fun! :biggrin:

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4
    1. Get a pencil and a ruler. Position yourself against the door frame. Use ruler and put it against the door frame and perpendicular against the head. Keep it there. Rotate, mark frame with pencil.

Take a measuring device and measure the height. Delete mark. Repeat 3 times and average.

Simple. Practical. Can be done by anyone. Does not involves NASA devices.

2. Stop being lazy and help her.

6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    Measure the length from fingertip to fingertip (of the middle finger) when she spreads her arms. It's the same as her height.

7. Mar 10, 2010 #6
    Thank God someone other than me thought of this.

Isn't the point of science to make things easier?

8. Mar 10, 2010 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't remember qspeechc asking anyone to refrain from offering impractical solutions. Of course there are easier ways to do it, but what would science be without ingenuity, whether practical or not? Have some fun guys, sheesh. :wink:

MotoH:

I'd say that we find easier ways to do things by way of using science, but that is not its sole purpose. In science, we endeavor to understand the world around us, whether or not it leads to practical application.

9. Mar 10, 2010 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not. It is close, but different.

10. Mar 10, 2010 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 10, 2010 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sisters!

Quite right! What has she ever done for you? :wink:

Go to the card shop and buy her a 2-metre-tall "I'm sorry i didn't help you to measure your height" card. :smile:

12. Mar 10, 2010 #11
    That's not accurate. People's arm length and height vary proportionally from person to person. There's a fighter in the UFC who has a measure of 84.5 inches fingertip to fingertip, yet he's only 6'4".

13. Mar 10, 2010 #12
    Do what the physicists do, work in units where her height is 1.

-or-

Tell her to lie down on the floor with a book at her feet and a book at her head. Then get up and and measure the distance between the books.

14. Mar 10, 2010 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Best answer. :rofl:

Inaccurate. She will be taller lying down than she is standing up.

15. Mar 10, 2010 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Have her bend over backwards and grab her ankles touching the soles of her feet to the top of her head, forming as circular a shape as possible. Then have her measure the distance from heel to small-of-back. Multiply by pi.

16. Mar 10, 2010 #15
    Standing in sun and measuring shadow and then shadow of a known object..

17. Mar 10, 2010 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Besides, this is only good for measuring your length, not your height.

18. Mar 11, 2010 #17
    Because a ruler can teeter-totter on your head, it's better to just grab a square, like a book, and line the spine against the wall. Stand against the wall and line up the book, then mark in the corner by the spine on the wall and measure the distance up to that.

I also mark where my eyes are and other features, and at a distance I periodically examine the marks to develop a visual height gauge against my own.

19. Mar 11, 2010 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just remember to use a paperback rather than a hard-cover! Unless you have a flat head. Or if you don't care about sixteenths of an inch.

20. Mar 11, 2010 #19
    Not everyone is as fat as me.

21. Mar 11, 2010 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who cares if her height is accurate if she's only using it to calculate BMI? BMI is only useful on a population basis anyway and would only give a very rough approximation on an individual basis that can generally be determined just by LOOKING at the person.

It's close enough to just stand against the wall, put the pencil on the top of your head and mark the wall to measure it. Sure, you'll be off by the radius of a pencil, less than a 1/4 of an inch, so no big deal.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook