Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Measured Values In Physics

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    Are all physical quantities inherently positive?

In mathematics, you have some order on the axis. -100 < -5 < 5 < 100.
    But in physics, a speed of -100 is larger than a speed of -5. The minus sign just shows the direction which is opposite of what we defined to be positive.
    Likewise, the energy. If we have a negative energy, it just means that we took energy out of the system. If we add energy, then it is positive.

So it seems that all measured values are greater than 0. My question is. Are there physical quantities which are inherently negative? In a way that -100 of that quantity is smaller than -5. So in a way that the minus sign does not show something opposite of our convention, our reference system.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Physical quantities just exist, with no numerical measurement. Humans invent a numerical measurement and apply it. In early history, if something existed, humans measured it as positive. They didn't even invent negative numbers till later. So there is no inherent positive or negative to a physical quantity, it's a result of human nature.

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    I agree. Thanks for answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted