1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement Definitions Help

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fill in the blanks...

1. ___________ indicates how close a measurement comes to its real value

2. the ___________ of a measurement can only be as accurate as the measuring device used.

3. __________ indicates how close a set of measurements are to one another using the same measuring device

4. the smaller the unit used to measure with, the more __________ the measurement

5. the smallest unit on the measuring device used is the _________ of the measuring device

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

1. accuracy

2. precision

3. measurement error or precison?

4. precise

5. precision

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answers to 1, 4, and 5 look fine to me.

I have a problem with the wording in 2.

Error or uncertainty does seem like the right answer to me in 3. I agree that the more precise the instrument is, the smaller this error will be (in general), and therefore the closer together the set of measurements of the same thing are to each other. However, the statement seems to be asking for the measure of this deviation (the error) itself, and not for the factor that mitigates it (precision).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?