Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement Error

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    Could some please distinguish the difference between measurement error and measurement uncertainty. I have actually held conversations at conferences over this issue with statisticians from NIST and no one has ever been able to give me a consistent answer. It seems to be more philosophical than anything. I was just wondering if any body could shed some thoughts on this subject?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See Uncertainty. My "educated guess" is that uncertainty is minimized when, say, all error terms (in the sense of residual = measured value - true value) are either -1 or +1. But error can further be minimized when all error terms are randomly distributed, say, between -0.01 and +0.01, in which case uncertainty may be greater than in the previous (binary) case because eror terms are "all over" (albeit within a tiny interval).

4. Sep 7, 2005 #3
    The former is mean-actual value and the latter is the variance

5. Sep 7, 2005 #4
    Thanks

That helps matters. The statement made in the link ("Because of an unfortunate use of terminology in systems analysis discourse, the word "uncertainty" has both a precise technical meaning and its loose natural meaning of an event or situation that is not certain.") provided still leaves things open for discussion. I will study the information provided and the link information further. On a second note it is basically another way of measuring dispersion.

6. Sep 7, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are saying that uncertainty is identical to + standard deviation; is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?