Measurement for force, distance and time for a treadmill

In summary: You could probably ignore the extra "aerobic" energy expended after the workout and just focus on the work done and heat flow during the workoutIn summary, the conversation discusses finding good measurements for force, distance, and time for a treadmill workout. It is suggested to use simple devices such as metre sticks and bathroom scales instead of relying on data from the machine. The concept of work is explained, as well as the complexities of calculating distance while running. The conversation also touches on calculating energy and heat loss during the workout, and what happens to excess body heat after the workout. It is recommended to focus on steady-state heat flow and ignore the extra energy expended during warm-up and cool-down.
Outblaze
Hello:

I'm trying to find "good" measurement for force, distance and time for a treadmill. I'm assuming the force will simply be the "weight" of my body but the distance..the distance is a different issue altogether.

Since we're contrained in not using the data from the machine, I must use simple devices in my disposal i.e. metre sticks, bathroom scales, stop-watches, etc.

How would I calculate good "distances" assuming I'm not setting the treadmill on an incline (that is, if I don't "have" to set it on an incline).

Can I just calculate the average distance between my legs and multiply that by the number of steps I take?

I must also calculate...

1). Energy conducted away by vaporizing sweat.
2).Energy that has been radiated away by my body during the workout.
3).heat energy stored in excess body temperature.
4). Amount of heat energy lost by convection
5). total food energy used
6). heat energy created during the work-out.

Also, what happens to the energy stored as excess body heat as my body cools down to normal temperature?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Outblaze said:
I'm assuming the force will simply be the "weight" of my body...
Since you're bouncing up and down and the angle between your legs and the ground varies, its proably a lot more complicated than that. [if you're running] I think you need to construct an equation taking into account the changing angle between your leg and the ground and the resultant forces, then add the energy used when you bounce. Remember, work is force times distance and that force and distance need to be in the same direction - but your weight is vertical and your walking/running is horizontal.

The power from bouncing is easy - it is your weight times how high you bounce times how often you do it (and multiply by 2 since you have to accelerate to get up and accelerate again to stop when you hit the ground).
...but the distance..the distance is a different issue altogether.
The distance you run is the easy part. You've heard of a pedometer, right? Just count the number of paces you take on a closed course and calculate the length of your stride.
Can I just calculate the average distance between my legs and multiply that by the number of steps I take?
Once you have a good measure of your pace, yep.
1). Energy conducted away by vaporizing sweat.
Weigh yourself before and after. Collect unevaporated sweat (eww).
2).Energy that has been radiated away by my body during the workout. 4). Amount of heat energy lost by convection
You mean convected (radiated heat is virtually nonexistant for a person)? That's difficult - a little bit of wind makes a big difference. The vast majority of the heat loss comes from sweat though.
3).heat energy stored in excess body temperature.
Little to none.
5). total food energy used
Well, that's what you're calculating with the above.
6). heat energy created during the work-out.
That's what you're calculating above.
Also, what happens to the energy stored as excess body heat as my body cools down to normal temperature?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the body's core temperature remains at 98.6 - the distribution changes as more blood is pumped to the extremities to dissipate heat (ie, your skin gets warmer). The amount lost in cool-down is the same as the amount gained in warm-up, so you can just ignore it and work off of steady-state heat flow once you're warmed up.

Similarly, while your heart and breathing may take an hour to return to its normal rate, that's because your body needs to "catch-up" with the fuel (both food and oxygen) lost during the workout.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Measuring force, distance, and time for a treadmill can be done using simple devices and calculations. Here are some suggestions for each measurement:

1. Force: As you mentioned, the force will be the weight of your body. You can use a bathroom scale to measure your weight before and after the workout to determine the force exerted on the treadmill.

2. Distance: To calculate the distance, you can use a measuring tape or a meter stick to measure the length of your stride. Then, multiply that by the number of steps you take on the treadmill. This will give you an estimate of the distance you have traveled.

3. Time: A simple stop-watch or timer can be used to measure the time spent on the treadmill. Alternatively, most treadmills have a built-in timer that can be used to track the time.

Now, for the other measurements you mentioned, here are some suggestions:

1. Energy conducted away by vaporizing sweat: This can be difficult to measure accurately without specialized equipment. However, you can estimate the amount of sweat produced by weighing yourself before and after the workout and subtracting the difference from the amount of water you drank during the workout.

2. Energy radiated away by your body: This can also be estimated by measuring your body temperature before and after the workout and calculating the change in temperature. However, keep in mind that this will not account for the energy used by your body to maintain its temperature during the workout.

3. Heat energy stored in excess body temperature: This can be calculated by measuring your body temperature before and after the workout and determining the change in temperature. This will give you an estimate of the heat energy stored in your body.

4. Amount of heat energy lost by convection: This can be difficult to measure without specialized equipment. However, you can estimate it by measuring your body temperature before and after the workout and taking into account the ambient temperature and humidity.

5. Total food energy used: This can be calculated by keeping track of the number of calories you consume before and after the workout. You can also use a fitness tracker or app to estimate the number of calories burned during the workout.

6. Heat energy created during the workout: This can be estimated by subtracting the total food energy used from the total energy expended during the workout (which can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the distance traveled).

Finally, as your body cools down to normal temperature

1. What units are used to measure force on a treadmill?

Force on a treadmill is typically measured in units of pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg), depending on the specific treadmill model.

2. How is distance measured on a treadmill?

Distance on a treadmill is typically measured in units of miles (mi) or kilometers (km). This is based on the distance traveled by the user's feet while walking or running on the treadmill.

3. What is the standard unit of measurement for time on a treadmill?

The standard unit of measurement for time on a treadmill is typically minutes (min). This measures the duration of the user's workout on the treadmill.

4. How can the force, distance, and time measurements be used to calculate speed on a treadmill?

To calculate speed on a treadmill, the distance traveled is divided by the time taken. This will provide the speed in units of miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h), depending on the units used for distance and time.

5. Are there any additional measurements that can be taken on a treadmill?

Yes, some treadmills also have the capability to measure heart rate, calories burned, and incline level. These additional measurements can provide valuable information for tracking fitness and progress on the treadmill.