Measurement Problem: Wavefunction Interaction with Macroscopic Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in the way a wavefunction interacts with macroscopic objects, specifically a photon detector and a half-silvered mirror. It is noted that materials and shapes that make detectors cause wavefunction collapse, while those that expand them make mirrors. The conversation also touches on the concept of decoherence and its role in understanding the behavior of particles. It is mentioned that our current math may not be advanced enough to fully explain these phenomena and that further research is needed.
marky3
Is it correct to say that a measurement occurs whenever a wavefunction interacts with a macroscopic object? If this is the case why does the wavefunction make a distinction between a photon detector and say a half silvered mirror used in quantum experiments. Both are macroscopic objects but in one case the wavefunction collapses and in the other case it doesn't. I don't understand what is so different physically about a photon detector and a mirror. Both are fundamentally ensembles of particles. Why the difference in the way a wavefunction reacts to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
To me it would seem to be the manner of interaction. The detector is designed to detect and return a precise value for an observable. the half silvered mirror splits the beam and introduces less precision into the system. Such materials and shapses that make detectors are those that collapse wavefunctions. Such that expand them make mirrors. That's WHY the mirror is what it is, and the detector is what it is. You wouldn't make a detector out of a silver mirror. See what I mean?

Is this process something that physicists understand or is it one of the still unsolved mysteries of QM? I'm assuming this is now understood in terms of decoherence but I'm trying to figure out exactly what decoherence explains. I understand that decoherence now provides a more illuminating explanation for what was previously thought of as wavefunction collapse but has it also demystified the fact that for apparatus set up to detect particles the wavefunction will collapse but apparatus such as mirrors will not cause wavefunction collapse. This is something i have never managed to get a clear explanation of.

As far as I know, we haven't figured out exactly what it is about certain materials and configurations that cause them to interact differently, only that they do. We are just as mystified by the complex emergent properties of chemistry. The bottom line is that the N body problem just keeps rearing its ugly head wherever we look, Which essentially is an indication that our math is what isn't advanced enough to deal with these things. Just as calculus solved Zeno's paradox, I think there will be some new type of math that will solve the n body problem.

Decoherence does not really explain why it is that certain types of matter absorb information like detectors do and other types do not. It would seem to me to require a better understanding of the quantum behavior of large atoms and molecules.

1. What is the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem in quantum mechanics refers to the challenge of understanding how the probabilistic and wave-like behavior of quantum systems can give way to definite and deterministic outcomes when observed or measured by a macroscopic object.

2. How does the wavefunction interact with macroscopic objects?

The wavefunction is a mathematical description of the state of a quantum system. When a macroscopic object, such as a measuring device, interacts with a quantum system, the wavefunction of the system becomes entangled with the wavefunction of the object. This entanglement leads to the collapse of the wavefunction, resulting in a definite measurement outcome.

3. What are the main theories that attempt to explain the measurement problem?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the measurement problem, including the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the decoherence theory. These theories propose different explanations for how the wavefunction collapses and how the observed classical reality emerges from the underlying quantum behavior.

4. Can the measurement problem be solved?

There is currently no widely accepted solution to the measurement problem. Different theories offer different perspectives, but the problem remains a subject of ongoing debate and research in the field of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the measurement problem impact our understanding of reality?

The measurement problem challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that the act of observation or measurement can fundamentally alter the behavior of quantum systems. It raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping our understanding of the world.