Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement Question.

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    First of all, this is not a homework question. This was a question on a test I wrote on friday for which I cannot find the information in any texts.

The following: "pressure exerted by a water column measured in feet of water or occasionally inches of water" is a good definition of:

1)pressure
    2)head of water
    3)density

I know that the measurement is something typical of a manometer, but I can't see how it would fit in any of the options above. Your opinions please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nickberg! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What is "head of water"? :smile:

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Welcome to PF!

It's one of the specifications of a water pump. As I recall, it's either:

1. The height of the water in a tube connected to the pump's output, or
    2. The maximum height this water can have, at which the pump's flowrate becomes zero.

A pump provides maximum flow at zero head. But in many situations (such as basement sump pumps), the water is pumped out through a tube which rises above the pump. That water produces a back-pressure on the pump, reducing the water's flow rate. Let the water rise high enough, and the back-pressure reduces the flow to zero. The maximum head should be enough to pump water from the basement floor to above ground level.

For example:
    http://www.plumberscrib.com/Products/LIBERTY-Condensate-Pump-15-Head__LCU15.aspx

edit added:
    I don't understand what is being asked in post #1. nickberg, you say you wrote the question but do not understand how the question fits any of the options. Since you are the question author, why can't you come up with an answer that makes sense to you? What am I missing here?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What?? :rofl:

(why are you answering anyway? how does that help the OP? :confused:)

nickberg, what's "head of water"? :smile:

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

I believe the answer to the original question is a head of water. This terminology is often used in the context of both pumps and hydroelectric generators to refer to the height/pressure difference of the water between the two reservoirs. It is useful, for example, to be able to say that certain kinds of turbines are more efficient for high head situations and others are better for low head.

I'm guessing maybe English is not his first language (am I right?) and he meant to say a test he took. Since you write down answers when you take a test, native speakers of other languages might possibly use the verb "write" to make "take". Maybe.

7. Jul 6, 2008 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, other languages like British English. :smile:

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. Well at least I was right about what it meant.

9. Jul 7, 2008 #8
    That would be good old standard english. I'm Canadian and here you can "take" a test or "write" a test. They are interchangeable. Just like Americans say "zeee" and we say "zed", it still means the same thing. Thanks for the answers guys, it makes sense

10. Jul 7, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, just when I thought I understood that language. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?