Measurement Rules Quantum Universe

In summary, a new experiment conducted in June 2015 provides further evidence that reality at the quantum level does not exist until it is measured. However, this does not mean that reality as a whole does not exist until it is observed. The media may have misrepresented the researchers' work, as they often do in order to sell their findings. It is important to not take pop-sci articles or media releases too seriously, as they may not accurately reflect the actual research.
No reply from Andrew, yet. I do hope he does respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems, since we can describe and produce systems in which we can mathematically represent the state of a system before and after observation/interaction/measurement, that therefore something exists in a real sense just before the measurement/*/. That seems obvious (to ignorant me). Is QM just saying that, even though you can describe its supposed characteristics mathematically, you can't prove something actually exists? Is the math just an equation that turns out to be consistent with what happens after measurement/*, but is in no sense representative of something real or proof there is something real before measurement/*/?

It feels like the math proves there is a reality that is measured/*/ to create an effect, but says nothing about its nature. To say there was "nothing" before measurement seems a stretch. As bhobba said, there is interaction. Can one interact with nothing?

We can have something real that creates a QM system. The QM system is not real until we measure it? I guess I'm lost.

meBigGuy said:
Is QM just saying that, even though you can describe its supposed characteristics mathematically, you can't prove something actually exists?

I am with Victor Stenger on this:
http://www.azquotes.com/quote/565770

QM describes what kicks back (ie observations). But the object that allows us to make probabilistic predictions about that, the state, doesn't. Just my view - different interpretations have different takes.

Thanks
Bill

We can create a QM system with a defined state out of real objects, but, once we do that, those objects no longer exist? I can understand that QM is saying nothing about the nature of the system beyond what will happen when it is measured/*/, but how can that be interpreted as not existing?

meBigGuy said:
We can create a QM system with a defined state out of real objects, but, once we do that, those objects no longer exist?

You are getting confused.

In QM the real things are observations. The state helps us predict the probability of those observations.

Thanks
Bill

I don't think I am confused. I think people are being loose and fast with their definitions.
For example, you stated
bhobba said:
observation, measurement, call it what you like, is interaction.
Which implies there is something that is being interacted with as it is measured.

I fully understand that IN QM the real things are the observations, and that, currently, QM does not speak to the nature what exists or doesn't exist prior to measurement/*/ other than providing the theory for a mathematical representation of what might happen when that measurement/*/ occurs.

But, the original article stated that there was no existence until there was measurement/*/. I'm just saying "that's not QM", and its not a very good interpretation either.

Rajkovic said:
obviously there is reality when no observed
Yeah, I am pretty sure that trees fall down, even if nobody is there with a video camera to record the event.

meBigGuy said:
Which implies there is something that is being interacted with as it is measured.

It does not follow that something is real.

meBigGuy said:
But, the original article stated that there was no existence until there was measurement/*/. I'm just saying "that's not QM", and its not a very good interpretation either.

If it said that its wrong - QM is silent on the issue.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
It does not follow that something is real.

If by this you mean that currently QM does not imply/indicate/suggest that something is real, then I understand. I was going beyond QM saying something must exist, but that is not a supportable viewpoint in this QM forum (as should be). Saying it does not exist is likewise not supportable.

rootone said:
Yeah, I am pretty sure that trees fall down, even if nobody is there with a video camera to record the event.
The tree would be in a superposition of falling down/remaining standing, despite interacting (entangling) with the environment which is technically also in a quantum superposition.

But then what is happening if an explorer discovers a new island and observes trees which have fallen down due to maybe a hurricane.
The observer did not personally encounter the hurricane, but the blown down trees indicate that a hurricane happened.