What happens if two operators commute?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measurements on a system and how they change the state of the system into an eigenfunction of the operator used. It is also mentioned that if two operators commute, they have the same eigenfunctions and can be measured at the same time with 100% certainty. However, it is clarified that just because they commute does not mean that all eigenfunctions of one operator are also eigenfunctions of the other.
Master J
I am trying to understand the idea of measurements on a system. Forgive me if any of my interpretations are incorrect...I'm hoping things can be cleared up.

A measurement is taken on a system, represented by an operator, and this measurement changes the state of the system into a state which corresponds to an eigenfunction of the operator.

If a different measurement is then taken, and this operator commutes with the previous one, does that mean that both operators have the same eigenfunctions? I arrived at this because, if they commute, the order they are applied won't matter, so the state of the system should be the same?
Of course, if they don't commute, one measurement changes the state of the system so that the system is now different when one takes the second measurement, affecting its result.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes if two operators commute they share the same eigenfunctions and can be measured at the same time with 100% certainty in both

If two operators commute, then one can choose common eigenfunctions, but that does not mean that every eigenfunctions of A is an eigenfunction of B. Take for instance A=Identity operator.

1. What are measurements and operators in the context of science?

Measurements refer to the process of obtaining quantitative data about a physical quantity, while operators are mathematical tools used to manipulate and analyze this data.

2. How are measurements and operators used in scientific research?

Measurements are used to collect data and provide evidence for scientific theories, while operators are used to analyze and interpret this data to make predictions and draw conclusions.

3. What are some common examples of measurements and operators in science?

Examples of measurements include length, mass, time, temperature, and pressure. Operators commonly used in science include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and differentiation.

4. How do scientists ensure accuracy and precision in their measurements?

Scientists use various tools and techniques, such as calibrating instruments and repeating experiments, to minimize errors and ensure accurate and precise measurements. They also use statistical analysis to determine the reliability of their data.

5. Can measurements and operators be applied to all fields of science?

Yes, measurements and operators are fundamental concepts in all fields of science, from physics and chemistry to biology and environmental science. They are essential for understanding and quantifying the natural world and making scientific discoveries.