1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurements of neutrinos

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Neutrinos are created in states of one of two possible flavors, [itex]f_1[/itex] or [itex]f_2[/itex]. Each flavor state can be expressed as a linear combination of mass eigenstates with masses [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex]
    [tex]
    |f_1\rangle = |m_1\rangle a_{11}+|m_2\rangle a_{21}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    |f_2\rangle = |m_1\rangle a_{12} + |m_2\rangle a_{22}
    [/tex]
    The unitary matrix [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is called the mixing matrix. The different mass of neutrinos with the same momentum move at different speeds. Eventually the light neutrino ([itex]m_1[/itex]) will outrun the heavier neutrino ([itex]m_2[/itex]). When the lighter neutrino reaches a detector only the flavor can be detected. what is the probability of measuring the flavor [itex]f_1[/itex]? After the flavor [itex]f_1[/itex] is measured and selected, what is the probability that the neutrino continues moving with the lighter mass ([itex]m_1[/itex])?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    P=\frac{\langle a|b\rangle\langle b|a\rangle}{\langle a|a\rangle\langle b|b\rangle}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel like the two questions are the same... It sounds like to me that a neutrino prepared in a state [itex]|m_1\rangle[/itex] addresses the detector and I want to measure the probability of it being in a state [itex]f_1[/itex]. I interpret this as
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    P(f_1) &= \langle m_1|f_1\rangle\langle f_1|m_1\rangle \\
    &= (a_{11}\langle m_1|m_1\rangle + a_{21}\langle m_1|m_2\rangle)(a_{11}^{\ast}\langle m_1|m_1\rangle + a_{21}^{\ast}\langle m_2|m_1\rangle
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    Then I assumed that [itex]\langle m_1|m_2\rangle=0[/itex] and [itex]\langle m_1|m_1\rangle=1[/itex] by orthogonality. Then
    [tex]
    P(f_1)=|a_{11}|^2
    [/tex]
    The problem is that this seems to me to be the way to answer both questions... Where is my misunderstanding?

Thanks,

PS I know it says this already but please don't tell me the answer, I really want to figure this out on my own, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    Perhaps I see it differently...

Is this saying that now the state is [itex]|f_1\rangle[/itex] and we want to know the probability of state [itex]|m_1\rangle[/itex], that is
    [tex]
    \langle f_1|m_1\rangle\langle m_1|f_1\rangle ?
    [/tex]

Thanks,

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's how I read it as well.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4
    Okay, then I took [itex]f_i=a_{ij}m_j[/itex] and solved for [itex]m_j=a^{-1}_{ij}f_i[/itex]. I then carried out
    [tex]
    \langle f_1|m_1\rangle\langle m_1|f_1\rangle=\frac{|a_{22}|^2}{|a_{11}a_{22}-a_{12}a_{21}|^2}
    [/tex]
    but since [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is unitary that is
    [tex]
    =|a_{22}|^2
    [/tex]

Does that seem correct?

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    ignore that dross above... I'm still stumped, they seem to be asking for the same probability. To me it sounds like: there is a neutrino of mass [itex]m_1[/itex], what is the probability of it having flavor [itex]f_1[/itex]? Then: There is a neutrino of flavor [itex]f_1[/itex], what is the probability of it having mass [itex]m_1[/itex]? Both of these seem to be [itex]|\langle f_1|m_1\rangle|^2[/itex]...

May I have a hint?

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think that's right, actually.

8. Sep 4, 2011 #7
    You think the expressions for those probabilities are both [itex]|\langle f_1 | m_1\rangle|^2[/itex]? Why would someone write a question like that... :confused:?

9. Sep 4, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You'll have to ask your instructor. :wink:

10. Sep 4, 2011 #9
    Thanks for all your help vela :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook