Measuring Spin of Qubit: Analyzing Algebraic States

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to express the eigenvectors of \sigma_x as linear combinations of the eigenvectors of \sigma_z. The question is raised about obtaining the general/algebraic states and the response explains how to do so by diagonalizing the representation of \sigma_x in the basis of the eigenvectors of \sigma_z.
barnflakes
I read in a book:

For a qubit defined as: [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle + |1\rangle)[/tex]

Since [tex]|0\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|1\rangle[/tex] are the eigenstates of [tex]\sigma_z[/tex] then measuring sigma_z will yield either [tex]|0\rangle[/tex] or [tex]|1\rangle[/tex]. Measuring [tex]\sigma_x[/tex] on the same qubit will give one of the eigenstates of [tex]\sigma_x[/tex], which are [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle + |1\rangle)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle - |1\rangle)[/tex].

Only problem is I don't see how you can obtain these general/algebraic states? When I make a measurement on the qubit ie. ([tex](\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\langle 0| +\langle1|))\sigma_x(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0\rangle + |1\rangle))[/tex] I just obtain a number? How can I keep this algebraic structure and prove the above?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is your question?

In the last example you have calculated [tex]\langle \psi | \sigma_x | \psi \rangle[/tex] which is the expectation value of [tex]\sigma_x[/tex] for the state [tex]|\psi \rangle[/tex]. The expectation value is a number.

The question appears to be "How do you express the eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] as linear combinations of eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_z[/itex]?". I don't have time to answer that right now, so I'll leave it for someone else.

Fredrik said:
The question appears to be "How do you express the eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] as linear combinations of eigenvectors of [itex]\sigma_z[/itex]?". I don't have time to answer that right now, so I'll leave it for someone else.

Yes exactly this!

The representation of [tex]\sigma_x[/tex] in the basis of the eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma_z[/tex] is
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
So if you diagonalize that you will get the eigenvectors, which will be (1,1) and (1,-1). The eigenvectors for [tex]\sigma_z[/tex] in this basis are of course (1,0) and (0,1)

What is a qubit?

A qubit is a unit of quantum information, which is the basic unit of information in quantum computing. It is represented by a two-state quantum-mechanical system, and can exist in multiple states simultaneously, unlike classical bits which can only be in one of two states (0 or 1) at a time.

How is spin measured in a qubit?

Spin in a qubit is measured through a process called quantum state tomography, which involves performing a series of measurements on the qubit and using statistical analysis to determine its state. This process allows for the measurement of both the magnitude and direction of the qubit's spin.

What is the significance of measuring the spin of a qubit?

Measuring the spin of a qubit is essential in quantum computing, as it allows for the manipulation and control of the qubit's state. It also plays a crucial role in quantum error correction and quantum information processing.

What are algebraic states in qubits?

Algebraic states in qubits refer to the mathematical representation of the qubit's state. They are described by a combination of complex numbers and are used to determine the probability of obtaining a particular measurement outcome when performing measurements on the qubit.

What are some applications of measuring the spin of qubits?

Measuring the spin of qubits has various applications, including quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum simulation. It also has potential uses in developing more powerful and efficient computing systems.