1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measures of the intensity of electromagnetic radiation

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1

Wox

I've always struggled with the commonly used measures of the intensity of electromagnetic radiation and it's catching up to me lately. Suppose [itex]\bar{P}(R,\phi,\theta)[/itex] is the Poynting vector of an electromagnetic field (in spherical coordinates) with norm [itex]I(R,\phi,\theta)=\|\bar{P}(R,\phi,\theta)\|[/itex] in [itex]J.m^{-2}.s^{-1}[/itex] (strictly speaking it should be the ensemble average of the norm). Then the flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] through a surface [itex]S[/itex], for which [itex]\Psi[/itex] is the angle between Poynting vector and surface normal at [itex](R,\phi,\theta)[/itex], is given by (in [itex]J.s^{-1}[/itex])
    $$\begin{align}\Phi_{S}&=\iint_{S} I(R,\phi,\theta)\cos\Psi\ \text{d}A\\
    &=\iint_{S} I(R,\phi,\theta)\cos\Psi\ R^{2}\ \text{d}\Omega\\
    &=\iint_{S} I(R,\phi,\theta)\cos\Psi\ R^{2}\sin\theta\ \text{d}\phi\text{d}\theta
    \end{align}$$
    In radiometry, this is called the radiant flux. From this measure of intensity, several other measures are derived, but I'm a bit puzzled how. Take for example the radiant intensity [itex]I_{e}[/itex]: the power per solid angle (in [itex]J.sr^{-1}.s^{-1}[/itex]). From the equations above I understand that
    $$I_{e}=\frac{\text{d}\Phi_{S}}{\text{d}\Omega}=I(R,\phi,\theta)\cos\Psi\ R^{2}$$
    but how is this independent from surface [itex]S[/itex] (which is the point of using other measures than the radiant flux)? Secondly, while you're at it, why not using
    $$J=\frac{\text{d}^{2}\Phi_{S}}{\text{d}\phi \text{d}\theta}=I(R,\phi,\theta)\cos\Psi\ R^{2}\sin\theta$$
    which I also don't see to be independent of [itex]S[/itex], but at least you don't need to remember the [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] when integrating it. Then there are measures like the radiance in [itex]J.m^{-2}.sr^{-1}.s^{-1}[/itex] which is defined as
    $$L_{e}=\frac{\text{d}^{2}\Phi_{S}}{\cos\Psi\text{d}A \text{d}\Omega}$$
    I can write that down but I can't say I understand what it means. Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted