Measuring a Qubit: Understanding Pauli Matrices

In summary, a measurement of a qubit's spin along a particular axis can be represented mathematically by evaluating the expectation value of the corresponding Pauli matrix. This involves calculating the average number of times the qubit will be in the eigenstate of the matrix, based on the coefficients of the qubit's state vector. However, this is not a precise operation and cannot be done in practice, as it is only applicable to an ensemble of identically prepared systems. An alternative approach is to introduce a Hamiltonian that couples the qubit to a meter, allowing for a more accurate measurement.
jimmycricket
I undertand that measuring a qubit's spin along a particular axis yields one of the eigenstates of the corresponding pauli matrices. I'm a little confused about what this type of measurement looks like mathematically. i.e how do you show the actual act of observing the qubits spin using the Pauli matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say that your qubit is in the state ##\vert\psi\rangle = c_0 \vert 0 \rangle + c_1 \vert 1 \rangle##, a simplistic description of a measurement along the ##z## direction is given by evaluating the expectation value of the Pauli ##z## operator, which is ##\langle\psi\vert\sigma_z\vert\psi\rangle = \vert c_1\vert^2 - \vert c_0\vert^2##. (if ##\sigma_z\vert 0\rangle =-\vert 0\rangle##).

Which means that if you measure your qubit ##N## times, you will obtain on average ##\vert c_1\vert^2 N## times ##\vert 1\rangle##, and the rest ##\left( 1- \vert c_1\vert^2\right) N = \vert c_0\vert^2 N## times ##\vert 0\rangle##.

Likes jimmycricket
matteo137 said:
Which means that if you measure your qubit ##N## times
But you can't do that. It means that given an ensemble of ##N## identically prepared systems...

Likes jimmycricket
DrClaude said:
But you can't do that. It means that given an ensemble of ##N## identically prepared systems...

Yes of course, I was too imprecise, sorry.

Likes jimmycricket
jimmycricket said:
I undertand that measuring a qubit's spin along a particular axis yields one of the eigenstates of the corresponding pauli matrices. I'm a little confused about what this type of measurement looks like mathematically. i.e how do you show the actual act of observing the qubits spin using the Pauli matrices?
There is no mathematical operation you can make, apart from saying that before a measurement of observable ##\hat{A}##, with
$$
\hat{A} | \phi_i \rangle = a_i | \phi_i \rangle
$$
the system is in the state
$$
| \psi \rangle = \sum c_i | \phi_i \rangle
$$
and after having measured the value ##a_j##, it is in the state
$$
| \psi \rangle = | \phi_j \rangle
$$

Likes jimmycricket
DrClaude said:
There is no mathematical operation you can make

Actually there is. You can say that you are making a measurement by introducing the Hamiltonian
[tex] H_{\text{meas}} = g A\otimes M [/tex]
which couples the qubit to a meter ...

I can suggest you this good review: http://dml.riken.jp/pub/nori/pdf/PhysRep.520.pdf (section 2.2.1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jimmycricket

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of mathematical matrices used to represent quantum states, specifically those of a qubit. They are named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli and are essential in understanding quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

2. How are Pauli matrices used to measure a qubit?

Pauli matrices are used to represent the three possible states of a qubit: 0, 1, and a superposition of both 0 and 1. By measuring the probability amplitudes of these states, we can determine the state of the qubit using the Pauli matrices.

3. Are there different types of Pauli matrices?

Yes, there are three types of Pauli matrices: X, Y, and Z. These matrices represent different quantum operations that can be performed on a qubit, such as flipping the state or measuring its spin along a certain axis.

4. What is the relationship between Pauli matrices and quantum gates?

Quantum gates are operations that can be applied to a qubit to manipulate its state. Pauli matrices are often used to represent these gates, with each matrix corresponding to a specific gate. This allows us to easily perform calculations and simulations in quantum computing.

5. Why are Pauli matrices important in quantum computing?

Pauli matrices are essential in quantum computing because they provide a way to represent and manipulate qubit states. They are also used in quantum algorithms and protocols, such as quantum error correction, and are fundamental in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.