Measuring a small amount of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a motion device consisting of a ball bearing in a metal pot with a metal rod running through its center. The output of this sensor is read by a micro-controller and a small program has been coded to monitor it. The problem is how to measure the tiny movements detected by the design in order to determine the sensitivity. Possible solutions are suggested, including using an accelerometer or a prox probe. The poster also provides a link to the data sheet of the specific sensor being used and clarifies that the device is being used to detect movement and determine acceptable levels of movement. Further details about the type of movement being measured are requested in order to provide a more specific solution.
grovesy
Hi all.

I am working on a small project where i have a motion device, its a ball bearing in a metal pot with a metal rod running though the centre of it, as the ball moves around it makes and breaks contact between the rod and the pot.

The output of this sensor is read by a micro-controller (from the signal transitions), and i have coded a small program to monitor this so i have change the senitivity.

The problem is how do i measure the tiny movements detected by my design, so that i can put an actual figure on this sensitivity?

Im thinking an accelerometer might do this, but does anyone know if they can detect tiny movement? any recommendations?

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a single ball element or a full ball bearing? An accelerometer would do it if there is enough energy to induce an acceleration in the direction of measurement. Then you would have to double integrate the signal to get a displacement. Plus you would have to do an FFT on the time domain signal to give you a signal you could work with. It's definitely do-able.

However, the first thing I would use is a prox. probe. We use prox. probes routinely to monitor whirl in shafts and bearings. I have a test right now that is using a prox probe as both a speed and displacement sensor on a bearing cage.

I would like a little bit better description of your set up and what exactly you are measuring the deflection of though. Then we could really nail down a solution.

Cheers for that Fred. I have to say i don't know what you mean about that type of ball bearing! the device is a "assem tect - vibration sensor (MS24M)" and the data sheet can be found here http://www.assemtech.co.uk/products/MS24M.pdf [Broken]

It is being user to tell whether the hardware is being moved. There will be an acceptable amount of movement allowed, but i need to quantify the figures.

Does this help any more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grovesy,
I am currently stuck out of town and the computer I have access to is a POC. I can not read your attachment. I was trying to get a better idea of what your set up is and what your description really is like. It's just not clicking in my head right now

its a ball bearing in a metal pot with a metal rod running though the centre of it, as the ball moves around it makes and breaks contact between the rod and the pot.

Are you trying to measure the amount that the beall bearing moves in the can? Describe the motion that you want to measure, i.e. rotational, linear, random...Perhaps my initial post is not what you will need.

1. How do you measure a small amount of motion?

There are various ways to measure a small amount of motion, depending on the specific application. Some common methods include using accelerometers, laser interferometers, or strain gauges.

2. What units are used to measure motion?

The units used to measure motion can vary depending on the specific type of motion being measured. For example, linear motion can be measured in meters or centimeters, while angular motion can be measured in degrees or radians.

3. How accurate are measurements of small amounts of motion?

The accuracy of measurements of small amounts of motion depends on the precision of the measuring instrument and the conditions under which the measurement is taken. Generally, the smaller the motion being measured, the more precise the instrument needs to be.

4. Can motion be measured without contact?

Yes, motion can be measured without contact using non-contact methods such as optical-based sensors or remote sensing techniques. These methods use light or sound waves to detect and measure motion without physical contact.

5. What factors can affect the measurement of small amounts of motion?

The accuracy of measurements of small amounts of motion can be affected by various factors such as environmental conditions, the sensitivity of the measuring instrument, and any external forces acting on the object being measured. It is important to consider and control for these factors when taking measurements to ensure accurate results.