1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Bendiness

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to draw a table measuring bendiness but I don't know what unit or how bendiness would be measured.

2. Relevant equations
    //

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have drawn the table up, just I need a unit for bendyness

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

AEM

Well you might have to make one up! How about deflection per unit of force applied. So that would be meters/newton or cm/newton or inches/pound or feet/pound.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    Okay, this was my initial thought but I'm not sure how well it'll work.

DivingBoard.jpg

A line for the original position and length and then one going from the start of that one to the end of the diving board after it's bent.

You could then work out the angle inbetween?

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

AEM

Do you have the deflection of the tip of the diving board from its original position? If so, use that. If not, your idea is perfectly good. After all, it's your graph and what you want to do is to clearly convey information. In this case your effort should be judged on that criteria.

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    All I have is the weight of the object and the distance it is away from the start of the diving board. The distance is kept constant and the weight's the one changing (Independent variable?)

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6

AEM

Okay, so your angle idea sounds good. You could use angle deflection per pound. As I said before all you're trying to do is communicate what's happening and as long as you explain what you mean it should be okay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook