Measuring blood pressure in a non-electric way

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of designing a low-cost, non-electrical device that can accurately measure blood pressure using the oscillatory method instead of a stethoscope. The proposed solution involves four functions: sensing pressure changes, converting them into an oscillatory signal, analyzing the amplitude, and displaying the systolic and diastolic pressure values. The challenge lies in finding a way to detect pressure changes and convert them into an oscillatory signal without using electronic components. One potential solution involves using a diaphragm, bellows, and levers to create a mechanical link that can display the signal.
rainydays233

Homework Statement

I have to conceptually design a device that works with a sphygmomanometer but does not need the stethoscope. So it needs to function with the oscillatory method (analyzing the signal of pressure changes as heart pumps blood as opposed to listening to the Kirchoff's sounds). This device needs to be low cost and fully non-electrical.

Homework Equations

I know that P_systolic = 0.55 * A_max (A=amplitude of oscillatory signal)and P diastolic = 0.85 * A_max

The Attempt at a Solution

I have divided the task into 4 functions:
Part 1 - Sense the pressure change
Part 2 - Change the pressure into an oscillatory signal (possibly need to amplify)
Part 3 - Analyze the amplitude
Part 4 - Display an output (systolic and diastolic pressure values)

I believe Part 1 can be accomplished with a diaphragm.
I am currently stuck on Part 2. The problem is in my research I cannot seem to find a way to detect pressure changes and then change them into an oscillatory signal which will then be displayed all without a circuit (i.e without an ADC etc.) The device has to be fully mechanical (cannot have an electrical part) and accurate to 3 mmHg. So can anyone suggest anything to steer me in the right direction, given my minimal experience in mechanical design?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking of a pressure-sensing diaphragm connected to a bellows-like structure and then to a series of levers, in order to create a mechanical link to a pointer or a needle or something that will be able to display the oscillatory signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps it through your body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and consists of two numbers: systolic (top number) and diastolic (bottom number).

Why is it important to measure blood pressure?

Measuring blood pressure is important because it provides valuable information about the health of your heart and blood vessels. High blood pressure (hypertension) can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease.

What is a non-electric way of measuring blood pressure?

A non-electric way of measuring blood pressure is using a manual or analog blood pressure monitor. This type of monitor consists of a cuff, a pressure gauge, and a stethoscope and requires no electricity to operate.

How accurate is measuring blood pressure in a non-electric way?

Measuring blood pressure in a non-electric way can be just as accurate as using an electronic monitor, as long as the monitor is properly calibrated and the person taking the measurement is trained in using it correctly. However, it may be more prone to human error.

Can anyone measure their own blood pressure using a non-electric monitor?

Yes, anyone can learn to measure their own blood pressure using a non-electric monitor. However, it is recommended to have someone else take the measurement for you to ensure accuracy and consistency.