Measuring Brick Temp: Thermocouple/Pyrometer & Microammeter

• Thread starter cdm391
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary: The Brick is too thick to measure with a thermocouple so a pyrometer must be used. The resistance of the brick will cause the thermocouple to give an inaccurate reading. To measure the temperature of the brick, use an IR Pyrometer. If using a thermocouple, bore into the brick (masonary drill) and place the thermocouple junction in the center of the brick. If using both the pyrometer and thermocouple, connect the pyrometer probe to the thermocouple lead. Calibrate the pyrometer against a known temperature. If using metal plates on the brick face, make sure the plates are spaced far enough apart so that the heat from the pyrom
cdm391
How would I measure the temperature of the brick when it is between 20oC amd 800oC. Would I use a thermocouple/pyrometer?
If so, how would I put this in the circuit? Obviously, the resistance of the brick is high, so i will need a microammeter in series.

Science news on Phys.org
An optical pyrometer - that will measure the surface temperature.

If you use a thermocouple, it is customary to bore into the brick (masonary drill) - along one of the axes, and place the thermocouple junction in the center of the brick. The thermocouple leads are then connected to instrumentation outside the furnace.

Or you can use both the pyrometer and thermocouple.

Astronuc said:
Or you can use both the pyrometer and thermocouple.
Most likely, you will have to calibrate the pyrometer against a thermocouple.

I'm doing the same thing. What voltage are you using, and how have you connected the wires to the brick? I was thinking metal plates on either face of the brick, but I dunno. I'm using a thermocouple with probe and measuring device, but I'm not sure where to put it on the brick yet. And another thing, will the wires get too hot and melt?

Oo, Chipy Chick is only up the road! Hello and welcome!

While the pyrometer would do great at 800C, it would not work for the low end of your range. I am not sure what the low end would be, but certainly well above 20C. Even a type K thermocouple, mounted per Astronuc, would give you good readings across the entire range.

For the low temperatures, an optical pyrometer would not work. Instead one needs an IR pyrometer.

I once worked as a maintenance person. One of my projects invovled working with an electrical engineer who roamed the local power grid to find 'hot spots' in the electrical system. He was using a liquid nitrogen cooled IR detector, and the brightness of the spot was a function of the local temperature. And he did find some poor connections.

Infrared pyrometers are ultra-fast - http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/ipa/ipa104.html

http://www.wintron.com/Infrared/infrared.htm

Related to Measuring Brick Temp: Thermocouple/Pyrometer & Microammeter

1. What is the purpose of measuring brick temperature?

The purpose of measuring brick temperature is to monitor the temperature of the bricks in a specific location, such as a furnace or kiln, to ensure they are within the desired temperature range for proper functioning. This can also help identify any potential issues or malfunctions that may be causing variations in temperature.

2. What is a thermocouple and how does it measure temperature?

A thermocouple is a sensor that measures temperature by generating a small voltage that is proportional to the difference in temperature between two junctions. One junction is placed on the surface of the brick and the other is kept at a constant temperature, typically at room temperature. The voltage produced is then converted into a temperature reading using a thermocouple reference table.

3. How does a pyrometer measure brick temperature?

A pyrometer measures temperature by detecting the infrared radiation emitted by the brick's surface. The amount of radiation emitted is directly related to the temperature of the brick. The pyrometer then converts this radiation into a temperature reading, which can be displayed on a digital screen or recorded for further analysis.

4. What is the benefit of using a microammeter in conjunction with a thermocouple or pyrometer?

A microammeter measures the electrical current produced by the thermocouple or pyrometer, providing a more accurate and precise temperature reading. It also allows for real-time monitoring and can detect any fluctuations or changes in temperature more quickly than a traditional temperature gauge.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring brick temperature?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using thermocouples, pyrometers, and microammeters to measure brick temperature. This may include wearing protective gear and ensuring the equipment is functioning properly before use. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards, such as high temperatures or electrical currents, and to handle the equipment with care to avoid accidents or injuries.