1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Centrifugal force

1. Jun 3, 2005 #1
    Hi Peoples,

Newbie here who would really appreciate some advice!
    I'm developing a machine to emulate G-Force but within a defined area
    therefore i need to now what forces are at play and what is required to sustain for example 1G or 2G upto a 5G range.

If this was a confusing question please let me know to try and clarify. But basically its an object going around a circle at velocity (same as a gravitron when the show comes to town.). I need paramters of;

Speed with what radius would be required to exert the G-forces required to simulate using a mass of approx 200kg (80kg person and 120kg for the frame). trying to aim for 120-240Rpm and a radius of approx 8 metres.

If U know the Formula I would love to hear from U.

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards
    Golith

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2005 #2
    The formula I think you want is very simple:

[tex] a_{centripetal} = v_T^2 / r [/tex]

That's the centripetal acceleration, whose direction is always toward the center of the circle. And the velocity is the tangent velocity.

If you want to use angular velocity in the equation instead, use the substitution [tex] v = r \omega [/tex] to get:

[tex] a_{centripetal} = \omega^2 * r [/tex]

Note how the centripetal acceleration is independent of mass. I'll let you try plugging in some numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?