Measuring characteristic impedance as suggested by KRAUS' book

In summary: I'm not seeing anything like it in Stutzman and Thiele either...Please confirm your specific author and book. The name Kraus and variations such as Krauss are common in STEM publications.
iochoa2016
Can someone provide more information about this method to measure chracteristic impedance using resistance paper?. Kraus' book claims that the characteristic impedance can be measured by simple dc measurement. It even shows a case to mesure the impedance of a coaxial cable with square outer conductor (chapter 10).
Has anybody seen this method? is it reliable? any reference or video?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it seems more appropriate for you to give us some links to read up on this. I've never heard of a DC method for measuring ##Z_0##

The book I was referring to is third edition. However just found out that edition 1 and 2 have special section about this method. My understanding is that the characteristic impedance can be determined using a multimeter. the section geometry of the cable has to be drawn on this paper.

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    46 KB · Views: 70
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
iochoa2016 said:
Can someone provide more information about this method to measure chracteristic impedance using resistance paper?. Kraus' book claims that the characteristic impedance can be measured by simple dc measurement. It even shows a case to mesure the impedance of a coaxial cable with square outer conductor (chapter 10).

Thanks
The author's name should probably be spelled KRAUSS, the author of the well-known textbook Antennas.

Where did you get the text you illustrate? Seems that you have all the info you need. The method seems to consist of drawing a model of the cable on resistance paper then applying a VOM. Sounds very interesting and I think you should reveal what you have on the subject to us.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
iochoa2016 said:

Thanks
Interesting. Nope, never seen or heard of this. IRL, no one would actually ever do this. For one thing, we don't have or ever buy resistance paper. This is why we all have computers in our office.

I cannot seem to find this in my edition of the book Antennas, by J D Kraus with single S, but I do remember reading about it. I seem to remember that the paths taken by current on the paper are the analogue of the the electric field lines. The potential along a line is the analogue of the B field. There is a similar graphical method for Zo of a transmission line of arbitrary shape where you draw a cross section and draw estimated field lines for E. Next, construct the B lines by making curved "squares". You count how many squares between the conductors (a) and then how many around the inner conductor (b). Then Zo = 377a/b.

• Informative
Likes iochoa2016 and berkeman
tech99 said:
I cannot seem to find this in my edition of the book Antennas, by J D Kraus with single S, but I do remember reading about it.
I'm not seeing anything like it in Stutzman and Thiele either...

Please confirm your specific author and book. The name Kraus and variations such as Krauss are common in STEM publications.

I dimly remember using conductive paper to model DC circuits and craft simple resistors in grade school. Antennae and other loads were often modeled as a characteristic or collective impedance in RF classes.

tech99 said:
I cannot seem to find this in my edition of the book Antennas, by J D Kraus with single S, but I do remember reading about it. I seem to remember that the paths taken by current on the paper are the analogue of the the electric field lines. The potential along a line is the analogue of the B field. There is a similar graphical method for Zo of a transmission line of arbitrary shape where you draw a cross section and draw estimated field lines for E. Next, construct the B lines by making curved "squares". You count how many squares between the conductors (a) and then how many around the inner conductor (b). Then Zo = 377a/b.
iochoa2016 said:

Thanks
You're right, sorry. It's Kraus, not Krauss.
But still - where do the pictures you posted come from?

rude man said:
You're right, sorry. It's Kraus, not Krauss.
But still - where do the pictures you posted come from?
Electromagnetics by John D. Kraus

iochoa2016 said:
Electromagnetics by John D. Kraus
So do you have the book? If not, where did the pics come from?

There is an interesting Wiki page about this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teledeltos. The paper is called Teledeltos paper and is available from education science suppliers. It looks really interesting for self-education and also solving problems with antennas and transmission lines without the tedium of hours on a computer. I remember I have some of the paper so will give it a try.

Likes iochoa2016
Yes I have the book. I think I will do this expriment and cross check with experimental value

An analog computer made of paper !

Likes berkeman

1. What is characteristic impedance?

Characteristic impedance is a measure of the opposition presented by a transmission line to the flow of an alternating current (AC) at a specific frequency. It is a fundamental property of a transmission line and is determined by its physical dimensions and materials.

2. Why is it important to measure characteristic impedance?

Measuring characteristic impedance is important because it allows us to determine the performance and efficiency of a transmission line. It also helps in matching the impedance of the source and load to minimize reflections and maximize power transfer.

3. How is characteristic impedance measured?

Characteristic impedance can be measured using a variety of methods, including the open-circuit method, short-circuit method, and the Smith chart method. These methods involve applying a known voltage or current to the transmission line and measuring the resulting voltage or current to calculate the impedance.

4. What factors affect characteristic impedance?

The characteristic impedance of a transmission line is affected by its physical dimensions, such as the diameter and spacing of the conductors, as well as the dielectric material between the conductors. It is also influenced by the frequency and temperature of the signal being transmitted.

5. How can we use characteristic impedance in practical applications?

Characteristic impedance is used in various applications, such as designing and analyzing transmission lines, impedance matching in electronic circuits, and antenna design. It is also used in the design of high-speed digital circuits to ensure signal integrity and minimize signal reflections.