1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Droplet Density

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    I need to measure the density of aqueous microdroplets in oil. My first idea was to obtain a set volume of the droplet-in-oil mixture and weigh it to obtain the density, weigh the same volume of oil without droplets, then estimate the volume of the droplets so I can work out their density.

Estimating the volume of the droplets is turning out to be trickier than expected.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can measure the density and / or volume of microdroplets in oil?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How large are the droplets (rough estimate)?

Can you take a small (known) volume and squeeze it between two transparent plates to make the droplets countable with a microscope?

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Or maybe you could centrifuge the oil to make the droplets go on the surface. But it all depends on the size. mfb already asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook