Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Measuring fever temperature

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    I got fever, and due to the curiosity to know what is fever and on studying what is fever I got a doubt.
    why does temperature is high at anus when compared to other body parts at the time of fever.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: fever at anus

It is not. It is just better to measure temperature there, as skin surface is usually colder than the temperature inside of the body, so the reading can be wrong. Temperature in the anus is as close to the real body temperature as possible. Other common places used when measuring temp are mouth (can be cooled down by breathing or modified by something you ate), ear - not bad, although exposed, so can be a little bit colder than the inside, and armpit - same problem as with ear.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. Aug 24, 2010 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: fever at anus

Borek gave the answer, read the rest of his post.

6. Aug 24, 2010 #5
    yeah I got it. Thanks. At first I think reading is wrong means what I read is wrong, so I made the second reply. Now I understand It is Thermometer reading.

I have problem in reading and writing and speaking english. Because of that I got a misunderstanding.

7. Aug 26, 2010 #6
    Personally, I think you're not getting an accurate reading unless you're elbow-deep in the alimentary canal. :biggrin:

*NOTE: THIS IS A JOKE*

8. Aug 26, 2010 #7
    good thing you put that note about the joke. I've been reading around and was really serious about the stuff on this forum. This joke's a good one though. :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook