Building a Force Sensor: What You Need & Where to Buy

In summary, the conversation is about a person's need to measure force and input the data into a computer. They have found some force sensitive resistors but they are not strong enough for their needs. They are looking for a cheaper alternative and someone suggests using a spring and a linear potentiometer. Another person suggests using a digital bathroom scale or a sound card. The conversation ends with the idea of using a torsion spring with a potentiometer to measure force.
sjaguar13
I need to measure force and input the data into a computer. I found some force sensitive resistors, but they weren't capable of handling forces of several pounds. What I wish to build (if cheap enough) is something like this:
http://www.vernier.com/probes/probes.html?fp-bta&template=standard.html

Anyone know what is needed to build one, where do buy one that's cheaper, or is that the best I am going to be able to do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're not going to find much cheaper than that. Most load gauges are strain gauge based. When you add in the electronics for that portion, plus the electronics for the output you're starting to get a bit higher cost. What are you willing to spend? There are some scales and hand held force transducers that output on a serial line. What exactly are you doing with it would be helpful to know.

How about using a spring and a linear potentiometer? Choose the spring so that it stays linear for the forces that you want to measure (F=kx), and monitor the resistance of the wiper of the pot. You could even do a cheap RC thing if you don't have an easy way to read the resistance. Add a capacitor and drive an edge into the potentiometer+cap from the TX line of the serial port on your PC. Monitor how long it takes for the RX line to respond to the edge going through the RC lowpass circuit. You can probably calibrate the whole setup to be accurate to within a few percent...

If you have a simple analog I/O card in your PC, you could just measure the resistance or form a voltage divider to tell you the wiper position. Let us know what you come up with! -Mike-

sjaguar13 said:
I need to measure force and input the data into a computer. I found some force sensitive resistors, but they weren't capable of handling forces of several pounds. What I wish to build (if cheap enough) is something like this:
http://www.vernier.com/probes/probes.html?fp-bta&template=standard.html

Anyone know what is needed to build one, where do buy one that's cheaper, or is that the best I am going to be able to do?
How about buying a cheap digital bathroom scale and interface to its' electronics?

Regards

Can you use a torsion spring with a potentiometer to measure the force.d

1. What materials are needed to build a force sensor?

The materials needed to build a force sensor include a load cell (also known as a force sensor), an amplifier, a data acquisition system, and a display or computer to view and record the data.

2. Where can I purchase the materials for a force sensor?

The materials for a force sensor can be purchased from various scientific supply companies or online retailers. Some popular options include SparkFun, Digi-Key, and Amazon.

3. How accurate are force sensors?

The accuracy of a force sensor depends on the quality of the materials used and the calibration of the sensor. Most commercially available force sensors have an accuracy of around 0.1% to 0.5% of the full scale range.

4. Can I build a force sensor on my own or do I need specialized knowledge?

Building a force sensor does require some specialized knowledge in electronics and sensor calibration. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to guide individuals through the process.

5. What applications can a force sensor be used for?

Force sensors have a wide range of applications, including measuring weight and force in industrial and commercial settings, monitoring human movement and biomechanics in sports and healthcare, and conducting experiments and research in science and engineering fields.